Treated differently when buying refurbished?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mikeaperez, May 25, 2009.

1. mikeaperez macrumors newbie

My basic question is:

Have buyers been treated differently in the Apple Store when bringing in a model with problems that was bought refurbished from the Apple online store?

If you have a GOOD personal experience, please post it as an example of why we don't need to worry.

As for 'problems', I am thinking hardware issues, either self-created (i.e., bad RAM upgrade) OR even if the refurbished box came from Apple with a problem.

Thanks!

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Nope. Refurbs are treated like brand new machines. They have the same warranty and everything. :)

3. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

4. pprior macrumors 65816

No diff at all. I ended up with several issues with my refurb mac pro after 2 years of ownership and with applecare I was given a brand new machine with apple ram (and mine was aftermarket ram) and faster processors. You will be treated exactly the same.

5. JCastro macrumors 6502a

WOW! Now that is service! I always new Refurbs had the same warranty. But after two years they give you a new one. Thanks for posting.

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

He also mentioned (actually, implied) that he bought extended applecare for his refurb. Morals of the story: 1. Refurbs are treated by apple as new machines, and, 2. frakkin' buy applecare for an apple portable.

7. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Amazing. :D