Tree Organization Software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MBP123, Oct 27, 2013.

1. MBP123 macrumors regular

I am looking for some Mac software that will help me visually organize data into a tree-like visual.

For a use case example, imagine an e-commerce site where you have to come up with categories, details, etc. So jeans then have options of fit/style, brand, color, etc, with everything rolling back up into jeans. And then the same for another category like jackets.

Since this is tree logic, I would imagine there is some pretty standard software out there that someone might be so kind as to recommend?

2. onekerato macrumors regular

Sounds like a tedious task... it may be easier if you use a mindmapping or diagramming app with scripting capabilities. For example, Mindjet and OmniGraffle have good AppleScript support.

OmniGraffle does nice "balanced" graph layouts using GraphViz, an open-source layout engine. If you write out your "tree" in the DOT plain text language, GraphViz can create the visual tree for you. See this: http://www.the-haystack.com/2008/02/12/create-attractive-site-diagrams-with-graphviz/

Also, to generate the plain text tree "code", you can use Excel for working out the combinations (or perl/python/ruby.)