Trend Micro Smart Surfing?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Purple2012, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Purple2012 macrumors member

I have a copy. Is it worth installing?

Supposedly it...

Defends your personal data from viruses and spyware
    Halts access to unsafe web pages
    Protects against phishing scams
    Blocks suspicious IM and email links

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
    1. Make sure your built-in Mac firewall is enabled in System Preferences > Security > Firewall

2. Uncheck "Open "safe" files after downloading" in Safari > Preferences > General

3. Disable Java in your browser (Safari, Chrome, Firefox). This will protect you from malware that exploits Java in your browser, including the recent Flashback trojan. Leave Java disabled until you visit a trusted site that requires it, then re-enable only for the duration of your visit to that site. (This is not to be confused with JavaScript, which you should leave enabled.)

4. Change your DNS servers to OpenDNS servers by reading this.

5. Be careful to only install software from trusted, reputable sites. Never install pirated software. If you're not sure about an app, ask in this forum before installing.

6. Never let someone else have access to install anything on your Mac.

7. Don't open files that you receive from unknown or untrusted sources.

8. For added security, make sure all network, email, financial and other important passwords are long and complex, including upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters.

9. Always keep your Mac and application software updated. Use Software Update for your Mac software. For other software, it's safer to get updates from the developer's site or from the menu item "Check for updates", rather than installing from any notification window that pops up while you're surfing the web.
    That's all you need to do to keep your Mac completely free of any Mac OS X malware that has ever been released into the wild. While you may elect to use it, 3rd party antivirus software is not required to keep your Mac malware-free.

3. Purple2012, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012

Purple2012 thread starter macrumors member

I decided to just install it since I had it.
    I really messed something up.

Your computer restarted because of a problem. Press any key or wait a few seconds to restart.

This just loops. I can't log in or anything!!!

----------

I guess I wasn't supposed to install to Macintosh HD :confused:

I did command r..

I have no back ups.
    under repair disk I clicked verify disk. 'The volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK. So is the base system

Just clicked verify disk permissions and some stuff came up. Guess i will click repair.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Restart your Mac in safe mode, then use the following instructions to remove The Trend Micro app:

5. Purple2012 thread starter macrumors member

When I deleted it I just found it in the finder then command clicked it. It didn't say "Show package contants" So I just clicked move to trash.

I just realized it's still in my trash bin....

I also created a topic just for this.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1411949

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you've deleted all the files and folders associated with the app, then restart your Mac.

7. Purple2012 thread starter macrumors member

It seems to be working normally now.

The first time I tried to uninstall it I just use finder, command clicked it, moved to trash.

When I was looking in the trash bin I noticed it had an uninstaller. I restored it and uninstalled it using that. Then emptied the trash.

Seems to have done the trick.