Trent Reznor's Awesome Letter to apple

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by tjcampbell, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

While I don't have any problems with swearing in general, I've always found that editing out harsh words from letters to others (companies, authorities, your landlord) makes them much more effective. He raises some interesting, valid points, but the language is a slight barrier for the message. And besides, what if Apple's spam filters reject... certain words? :eek:

3. iPhoneNYC macrumors 6502a

iPhoneNYC

Trent, you're so cool but this song is not about you. While you still have some loyal fans the world has passed you by. However, there seems to be a future for complaining, self-centered, foul-mouthed, arrogant rockers on reality TV.

4. j.earnshaw macrumors newbie

Give him some credit

Trent Reznor happens to be quite decent with regards to technology, and this blog post seems to be quite well founded.

He was the first to offer his new album for free via digital download on his site - and in addition to this allowed the use of legal torrenting to allow for LOSSLESS files of his music to be downloaded. So far two or three of his album sets have done this to my enjoyment. In addition to this he is pioneering band based apps and has already had one successfully accepted. Whilst his language cannot be condoned his motives can.

I just hope that maybe apple does take his comments on board and start looking at the quality of the music they provide, as currently they could easily implement a lossless based system and thrash the amazon equivalent, although for now my music is coming form amazon due to the quality increase.

5. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

C'mon folks. He's using that language to prove a point... And he's hit the nail right on the ****ing head. It's hypocrisy. Many of us read that in our Safari browsers, but the words weren't censored there, were they?

Like he said, you can buy all kinds of "foul" content in the iTunes store, but the App store is different. That's not right. It's censorship, and it's ********.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Trent hit the nail (no pun intended) on the head. Why is it Apple's job to decide what words I can and can't hear. They should approve everything, foul language or not, and let the user decide if they want to listen to it. And if it's about the children, well, screw the children. If someone's too young to hear the f-word, then they're too young to own an iPhone. Maybe it'll make mommy and daddy think twice before spoiling their 8 year old with his own iPhone.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^^They'd also be too young to use a credit card to purchase apps.

It's weird how they don't decide on what music we can listen to as well, and cut out everything with foul language, or offensive material. They've done OK there.

I mean, if you're going to make a dumb decision like they have against certain apps, why not be consistent and make the same dumb decisions throughout?

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.