Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lickitysplit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
i searched for this and really didnt find an answer. im going to be installing a momentus XT on wednesday and i was wondering where i can get the tri-wing Y0 locally. does anyone know if homedepot or lowes has this in stock? thanks.

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
why do you really need it? I've installed a SSD and optibay drive in my macbook pro, didn't need one. My guess is you were going to try to disconnect the battery, which isn't really required.

googdot

macrumors regular
You only need the tri-wing Y0 if you are going to take out the battery. This is a precautionary step only when doing a HDD swap / Optibay mod. I just did the optibay mod on my 15" MBP, and didn't bother with the battery at all. No probs at all :D

lickitysplit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
Good news, I thought it was mandatory for the swap on the 15" and 17". Thanks for the help guys.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Good news, I thought it was mandatory for the swap on the 15" and 17". Thanks for the help guys.

You will need a very small TORX head - Home Depot sells them is a set for around $9 in their Husky brand - it comes with about 20 various screwheads and a driver. I don't remember the size, a quick Google about MB HD replacement should yield the info.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
I got a triwing screwdriver at microcenter for taking apart my Wii. It proved to be helpful, when I had to remove my battery from my MBP.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
The guides say to remove the battery but it isn't really necessary. It's just being overly cautious–like people who where anti-static wrist bands and ground themselves and all that. :rolleyes:

teleromeo

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2006
kidnapped by aliens
I replaced the hard drive in my uMBP and only needed a torx 6 and a small but ordinary + screwdriver.
I don't think that will be different for your momentus XT.

lickitysplit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
Thanks for all the info guys. I have the torx since I had a pre-unibody pro that i replaced a drive in and i bought a set for that haha. Im really happy i dont have to deal with that again, the unibody looks like its leaps and bounds easier to install a drive in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.