tri-wing screw driver

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lickitysplit, Oct 16, 2010.

1. lickitysplit macrumors regular

i searched for this and really didnt find an answer. im going to be installing a momentus XT on wednesday and i was wondering where i can get the tri-wing Y0 locally. does anyone know if homedepot or lowes has this in stock? thanks.

2. calvy macrumors 65816

why do you really need it? I've installed a SSD and optibay drive in my macbook pro, didn't need one. My guess is you were going to try to disconnect the battery, which isn't really required.

3. googdot macrumors regular

You only need the tri-wing Y0 if you are going to take out the battery. This is a precautionary step only when doing a HDD swap / Optibay mod. I just did the optibay mod on my 15" MBP, and didn't bother with the battery at all. No probs at all :D

4. lickitysplit thread starter macrumors regular

Good news, I thought it was mandatory for the swap on the 15" and 17". Thanks for the help guys.

5. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

You will need a very small TORX head - Home Depot sells them is a set for around $9 in their Husky brand - it comes with about 20 various screwheads and a driver. I don't remember the size, a quick Google about MB HD replacement should yield the info.

6. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I got a triwing screwdriver at microcenter for taking apart my Wii. It proved to be helpful, when I had to remove my battery from my MBP.

7. The General macrumors 601

The guides say to remove the battery but it isn't really necessary. It's just being overly cautious–like people who where anti-static wrist bands and ground themselves and all that. :rolleyes:

8. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I replaced the hard drive in my uMBP and only needed a torx 6 and a small but ordinary + screwdriver.
    I don't think that will be different for your momentus XT.

9. lickitysplit thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the info guys. I have the torx since I had a pre-unibody pro that i replaced a drive in and i bought a set for that haha. Im really happy i dont have to deal with that again, the unibody looks like its leaps and bounds easier to install a drive in.