Trial Version of Final Cut Studio 2 ...?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by fab5freddy, Mar 23, 2008.

1. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

Does anyone know where one can get a
    30 day Trial Version of Final Cut Studio 2 ?

thanks !

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

3. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

ok, that sucks, what about final cut express ?

4. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

No, sorry. But you might look at Final Cut Express as a low-cost way to figure out if Final Cut Studio is right for you...

As far as I know, Shake is the only Pro application for which Apple offers a trial version.

- Martin

5. jfull15 macrumors 6502

Aperture is also available for a trial download.

And this probably won't work, but all the computers at the Apple Store (except MB & MBA) have Final Cut Studio 2 on them, so you may want to cruise over and glance over the programs.

6. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Yeah I wish Apple would offer trial versions of more of their software, but in all fairness the entire FCS2 is over 50GB in size.

7. DrRock macrumors regular

^

What's the process of upgrading from FCS to FCS2?

Do I just need to have my FCS installed for the upgrade to work? Or is there more to it? Can I just buy the upgrade package and does it override the existing program?

Or do I install it, then have to uninstall FCS? And then does FCS2 become the official version on my machine though which all updates are installed?

Or do I need to fully update FCS first?

Oh, and the reason I ask is that I am having trouble compressing .TOD files from the JVC Everio in the current version of Compressor.

I was wondering if I needed a newer version of FCS to handle those files, or if there is a codec or something to download to be able to use those files in FCS?

I need to edit with footage from that camera in FCS. Can I do that? Or should I upgrade?

8. -DH macrumors 65816

To upgrade, you do NOT need to have the earlier version installed, but you WILL NEED the serial number from the earlier version to enter when prompted.

-DH

9. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

If memory serves me right, when FCS2 first came out there were some reports saying that the upgrade didn't always work. The recommendation at the time was to do a clean install of FCS2. As DH explained, that will work without a problem as long as you have the original FCS serial number.

- Martin

10. DrRock macrumors regular

^

So, a clean install meaning I uninstall the original FCS, then install the new version, and enter the SN when prompted?

Also, any info on the .TOD files? I'm just wondering if there's a codec I can download for those files that lets me use them with Compressor in FCS.

Also, with the speculation of FCS3 being BD capable, maybe I should just wait?

11. ChrisA macrumors G4

Apple only offers a free 30 day trial if they are forced to by a direct competitor who offers a trial. (As with Aperture/lightroom)

Why not stop off every day after work at an Apple store and try out Final Cut. You can do this as long as you like, even longer than 30 days. Before I bought Final cut Express I took a DVD with some DV files on it to the store and tried out some features of FCP. I wanted to checkout FPC's color balanceing abilties.