Trick provider into thinking my iPhone is a BlackBerry?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bet4a, Dec 5, 2010.

1. bet4a macrumors newbie

I'm using a jailbroken/unlocked iPhone 3GS down in Honduras on the Digicel network. Everything's been working great, and I have full phone functionality.

I bought a prepaid Internet package a few days ago, which gives me 3GB for a week. Thanks to MiFi tethering, I managed to use up all of my allocated bandwidth within the past two days. (Not only that, but once my prepaid Internet bandwidth was exceeded, it proceeded to drain out my regular prepaid balance!) Due to the fact that I bought the package less than a week ago, it won't let me buy another prepaid package for another five days... ugh.

I noticed on the Digicel website that they also offer prepaid packages for BlackBerry phones. The good news is that there's no bandwidth limit for the BlackBerry plans! The bad news: when I try signing up for a BlackBerry prepaid plan, the network tells me "Tu celular es incompatible con este servicio" (Your cell phone isn't compatible with this service). Not a big surprise, seeing that I'm trying to sign up for a BlackBerry plan on an iPhone.

So the big question: is there any way to trick the network into thinking that my iPhone is actually a BlackBerry, thus enabling me to sign up for the prepaid Internet plan that actually makes sense?

2. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

I'm sure they are going by the IMEI number of the device, which shows who the device is made by. Changing this number is pretty much impossible.