Trick to get unlimited data on AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by packerfan2008, Oct 7, 2011.

1. packerfan2008 macrumors newbie

Earlier this year I gave my original iphone to my son. He stuck his sim in it and I called ATT to get a data plan for him. They put him on the only data plan that exists for the 2G iphone. $20 per month unlimited. (can't pump that much data over Edge I guess)

Less than a month later I bought a 3GS on eBay for him so I wouldn't have to listen to him complain about the 2G anymore. He stuck the sim in the 3GS and I never bother to call ATT but the next month they charged me $30 per month for unlimited data. He's had unlimited data for a number of month's now. (sad thing is he doesn't really need it but the minute I cancel he'll start cranking thru data like his sister that keeps going over each month)

Obviously this "technique" isn't practical for everyone and might be a loophole that ATT has since closed but figured I'd share.

ps..bought the 4S this morning at 7:00CST from apple.com...took less than 3 minutes.

2. kromix macrumors member

Loophole has not been closed, did it today with success for a co-worker.

3. tivoboy macrumors 68030

not same

DOING it is not the problem, KEEPING IT is.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Welcome to last year.

Jk but this is well documented on these boards. Thanks for sharing, however.

5. packerfan2008 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oops...Hadn't seen it out here before...

I'm suprised ATT doesn't kill it but it sons like maybe they do in the end?

I've had unlimited since the 1st iPhone and when I bought the 4s today had no problems keeping it. Reading thru some other threads it appears that's not the case for eveyone?

6. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Not everyone was smart enough to read what they were selecting. Probably trying to get through it quickly before it crashed again.