Tricking iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ArtHistoryMajor, Oct 19, 2008.

1. ArtHistoryMajor macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a 120 gig iPod, but my Mac is an old Powerbook G4, with a 80 gig harddrive. Half of that is applications, and then there's a good chunk of other stuff as well, leaving about 15 gigs of actual music. This leaves me with 17 gigs of free space. Now, I want to take my DVDs and burn them to .mp4s and then put them on my iPod so I can have them on the go with me. Only, with the way iTunes and iPod syncs, I'd have to delete a ton of stuff on my harddrive so I can use that space for movies, which I really don't want to do.

Is there a way of tricking iTunes into thinking the file itself is somewhere else (preferably deleted, but I can burn them to a hard media like CD) after syncing it to my iPod? And if so, how can I protect that file on the iPod to keep from being deleted accidently when I go to add more DVD episodes?

2. 11800506 macrumors 65816

It's pretty easy. All you have to do is add the movie to your library and then sync your iPod. Then, just delete the source file of your movie - not the movie in iTunes. By doing this iTunes will keep the movie on your iPod but you won't lose any disk space.

3. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

And get you an external hard drive for backups. They are way cheap these days.

4. ArtHistoryMajor thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh man, you have no idea how much I want one XD But I'm trying to save up for a new Macbook.

Thanks for the help 11800506. I'm gonna give it a shot tonight and see how it goes. :)