Trickling liquid sound coming from my MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macbook noob, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Macbook noob macrumors newbie

Hello. So this is really weird. I have a (late 2008)MBP 15in and sometimes, very rarely, when i turn it completely sideways to where the power button is closer to the ground then the other side, it makes this weird sound that sounds like liquid trickling down stones..... I think it could be the fan by the video card hitting something when i turn it sideways but it does it very rarely so i don't really know. Any suggestions?

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

The liquid in the heatpipe maybe?

Actually, why not just stop tilting your new $2000 computer sideways to see what happens?

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Maybe he'd like to carry it around? There is no liquid cooling in any Mac laptop... unless he was shipped a PowerBook G5 by mistake.

4. Macbook noob thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol, well if i was planning on going into space with my MBP i would need to be able to operate it in every position possible since i would be floating. You never know what's going to happen in the future :p It would be nice to know what the noise was through. I know that it is for sure a (late 2008)MBP and I'm pretty sure its the fan(s) now since it only happens if the fans are functioning to cool the system. But its rare even when they are on so im still wondering. Anyone else have this occur?

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Why not take it to your local Apple Store and have their Genius take a quick peek (not Quick Look :p) ?

6. Macbook noob thread starter macrumors newbie

I would but all the roads are frozen over and i have to write a term paper due tonight. I don't think it's really much of a problem since it doesn't affect performance and it's a rare occurrence that only happens if i turn the computer sideways when its fully functioning; I was just seeing if it happened to anyone else and if it's normal or not.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Trickling liquid? :confused:
    Term papers due on Saturdays? :confused:

Honestly, I'm totally curious about this as there's nothing liquid in the laptops. Are you wandering around in a place where there are extreme temperature differences whereby there is condensation building up inside the unit? That's the only thing I can think of.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's probably just the radiator fluid or gas tank sloshing when you turn it sideways. It's unlikely that it would be brake fluid, so you have nothing to worry about! :D

9. TheCakeIsALie macrumors regular

There should be fluid inside the heat pipes but even if that moves around it shoudn't be loud enough to hear, especially from outside the laptop's enclosure. So unless there is actually water/other liquid inside your enclosure, I'd say that the sound is not from a fluid but from something else, loose screws maybe?

10. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

could it be a motion sensor triggering the HDD to park its heads?

11. hit2cho macrumors newbie

it's the motion sensor. oddly enough, i found hearing this sound annoying yet tempting. so i tilt my mbp slightly to hear the sound--and so i am satisfied. nothing to worry about, though, it's just normal.

12. damnyooneek macrumors 6502

i thought you were paranoid the first time i read this but it just happened to my late 08 MBP. its not the same sound of the HD parking thats a single click noise. its multiple trickling sounds that sound like water. this happened to me after i picked up the MBP thats on from the desk and turned it to a 45 degree angle. i held it that way and it kept making the sound for a good 5 seconds. i put my ear to the computer and it sounds like its coming from behind the ports. my only guess would be its the fan? its weird because i've never heard a sound like that ever coming from a computer.

13. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

It's probably the fans. Where about do you live? It's snowing over here in Vancouver too. It seems like it's snowing everywhere else lately, even in California :confused:

14. rofrof macrumors newbie

has anyone else had this

this is happening to me too, i'm wondering if it will lead to problems in the future??

15. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

What is happening to you? Do you have liquid inside your MBP or Do you think you have liquid inside your MBP. Also, Yes it could lead to problems in the future if not seen to.

16. edblor macrumors regular

How so?

If this is normal operation, like fans, then what could go wrong in the future?

It sounds like it is the fans that, when on an angle, vibrate in such a fashion as to make a sound similar to what you are describing.

You can certainly take it in to see a Genius, as that would be the best way to allay your concerns.

Cheers

17. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

well it doesnt matter which way you tilt it in space cause THERE IS NO GRAVITY :)

18. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Ha!

OP, it's probably just grit, dust etc under the keyboard, mine makes the same noise (kind of), when turned sideways.

19. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

No it isn't.... the motion sensor doesn't move, it's just a little accelerometer chip.
    It's probably the hard disk being parked.

20. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

21. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

Ah yes. Sorry my fault, it could may well of been the fan.

Take it into your local Apple store just to be safe.