TrickThreeG works with Slingbox without headaches

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by HiFiGuy528, May 13, 2009.

1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Get TrickThreeG from Cydia and get Slingbox from iTunes. Nothing else to do and it works pretty good over 3G or Edge.

2. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Do you know if TrickThreeG works in 3.0b5?

I'm not sure if anything that requires mobilesubstrate works in 3.0?

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nice and easy.
    Or they could update voipover3G on cydia to include an extra line of code for the new slingplayer app.

4. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I am not on 3.0 beta5, sorry.

Here is a screen shot of the app running on Edge.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Nope, looks like this or voipover3g just cause the app to crash, even with mobilesubstrate backward compatibility installed. Hopefully someone updates is :( I jailbroke just for this purpose. If this doesn't work I should just go back to stock firmware.

6. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

It works for me without problems. I am on 2.2.1 iPhone OS. Forget/remove VOIPover3G, get TrickThreeG from Cydia.

7. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

It's a 3.0 problem. VOIPover3G and TrickThreeG both rely on MobileSubstrate, which doesn't work properly in 3.0. They're working on an update now. On a different site they said it should be ready by the time beta 6 is out. Guess the Sling app being release bumped up the priority of making it work in 3.0.

8. seafurydriver macrumors member

What a fantastic app. Like many others I jailbroke today just for sling, and after jacking around for a couple of hours with SSH and Fugu trying to make VOIPover3G work I installed Trick ThreeG and everything worked perfect (including skype).

AT&T are so stupid to allow slingplayer on Blackberry but not on iPhone, and Apple should not have allowed them to dictate so much authority. Just another reason why having an exclusive relationship with AT&T is a bad idea. Competition will benefit the consumer and let the fastest broadband win...

9. Theraker007 macrumors regular

i think im going to wait until 3.0 software gets released before i fork over the cash for a slingbox and buy the app; i wanna be SURE this hack works when the new firmware is released.

10. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I will be waiting too. I would love to run this now but there seems to be too many nice new features coming with 3.0. I want the headache only once.

11. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Sling app is smart enough to know its on WiFi and automatically switch to "higher quality" video playback. :)