Tricky - Getting data from salvaged .imovieproj files?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aldafi, Mar 31, 2010.

1. aldafi macrumors newbie

Hey all,
    My first post, I think I'm in the right place, apologies if not.

I recently managed to salvage (using both Data Rescue II and FileSalvage, highly recommended) some old files from a hard drive I thought had died 4 years ago. Included were some old documents, photos etc. (It was a very happy day).

Also included where some .imovieproj files, which I hurriedly copied over.

The problem is they don't open. I open them in Imovie HD (v. 6) and I am told the clips cannot be found. I've done thorough scans of the hard drive and cannot find a 'media' or 'clips' folder anywhere, or any clip files, so I guess they're gone for good.

My question is if there is any way to get the raw data from the .imovieproj files itself. One of these files is over 10gb. It seems odd that there's all this data in it that can't be accessed somehow.

If it makes any difference I think the movies were made with iMovie 4, or maybe 3. I tried opening them in Imovie 3, didn't work.

Any help with this would be wonderful. I haven't found any talk of this on the internet so far.

Thanks.
    A.

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Right click on the file and select 'Show Package Contents'. If the recovery went well then your media should be there.

3. aldafi thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately that option doesn't come up.
    Is that a feature that has been present since iMovie 3/4?