Tricky Problem: Anyone Have a Fix?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by legaleye3000, Apr 22, 2010.

1. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

I have a newly restored iPhone 3G with a broken power button... I'm trying to jailbreak, but... I can't put it in DFU or recovery mode. Also, I cannot alt+restore in iTunes because it is saying I do not have a valid sim card in there (I need it unlocked because I don't use an official carrier).

So... any ideas? Is there anything to put my phone into dfu or recovery mode so I can restore a custom ipsw?

Thanks

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I know it can be done using software, because iTunes can do it. You could try an older jailbreaking software to get it into DFU mode. I would suggest trying iNdependence. Just ignore the error message about the incorrect version of the framework. The Enter DFU Mode is under the Firmware tab. PS: Only use iNdependence to get your iPhone into DFU mode. Try anything else with it and you could brick your iPhone.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Have the power button fixed.
    It should be around $30-40 to do it.

4. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

I just ordered the part to fix it but it will take 2 weeks to get here and I have an unusable phone...

I used blackra1n to put it into recovery mode, once it did that I yanked the plug... The phone shows recovery mode, but the computer is not recognizing that there is a phone plugged into it (even after rebooting the computer).

Any ideas on that? Right now its as if the phone doesn't exist, but the iPhone screen shows the recovery screen.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Probably just wait the the iPhone's battery to die then try again.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes.
    Wait till the battery dies but I dont think it will happen without a functional power switch.
    And I'd be cautious on using some of those old JB tools cause they might cause probs.

7. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Screen finally turned off the following morning (now)... When I plug into the computer or into the wall, nothing happens...

Its just blank screen and it won't turn on. I tried with and without holding down the home button... Do you think once I fix the power button that DFU will even still work? Thanks

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, DFU will work fine as long as the button works.

9. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Why not restore normal 3.1.2 and use blackra1n to jailbreak that?

10. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816