Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hi, I just bought a Logitech MX Keys keyboard. I am having trouble in pairing it with my MacBook Pro 16" 2019 running Catalina 10.15.3. I opened Bluetooth on my Mac and the keyboard showed up. I clicked on it and some numbers showed up on the screen during the pairing process. I typed those numbers and hit return but no respond. Tried a few times but no luck. Connected the keyboard physically to the laptop using the included cable. Tried pairing again but still does not work. It looks like whatever I typed on the keyboard does not get registered. Pairing the keyboard with a Windows PC and my old MacBook Pro 2010 17" works fine. Same issue when I tried to pair the Logitech ERGO keyboard. As for the Apple Wireless Keyboard, it just keeps skipping keystrokes or having slow respond. Needed to type each key with a few seconds pause before typing the next key. Sometimes needing to type multiple times for the key to be registered. Anybody knows how to fix this problem?

As the ikream.com site suggested, I went to /Library/Preferences and deleted comp.apple.Bluetooth.plist
Then, reset PRAM but still does not solve the problem.

Last edited:

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
On the phone with a senior Apple support advisor for 1.5 hours but she could not fix the problem. She collected some data from my computer and will get back to me.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Something is definitely messed up with your system. Bluetooth works fine on mine. I’d exchange it.

What bluetooth keyboard are you using?

I shared screen with the senior technical advisor. She saw the issues. They are analyzing the data sent from my computer now. Problem is the last day to return this computer is on this Saturday.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
What bluetooth keyboard are you using?

I shared screen with the senior technical advisor. She saw the issues. They are analyzing the data sent from my computer now. Problem is the last day to return this computer is on this Saturday.

I have the Apple Magic Keyboard and a Logitech wireless mouse (and occasionally the Apple Magic Mouse) that all connect with no issues.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I have the Apple Magic Keyboard and a Logitech wireless mouse (and occasionally the Apple Magic Mouse) that all connect with no issues.

I have no issue with connecting the Logitech MX 2S mouse via bluetooth. Connecting to Bluetooth keyboards under Catalina is the only problem. No problem doing so under Windows Bootcamp. If I use an Unifying Adapter, I can connect the Logitech MX Keys to my MBP 16". I don't want to use a USB dongle on this laptop so I prefer to connect via bluetooth.

Reactions: jagooch

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
If you're that close to the return deadline, and the problem is undiagnosed, I strongly recommend starting the return or exchange process now. Apple may decide to be generous if the deadline passes with no resolution, and you need to return or swap. But for your own protection, it's not something you should count on.

If you take the computer in to an Apple Store, bring the BT mouse and keyboard with you, so you can demonstrate the problem with the actual devices you're using.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
If you're that close to the return deadline, and the problem is undiagnosed, I strongly recommend starting the return or exchange process now. Apple may decide to be generous if the deadline passes with no resolution, and you need to return or swap. But for your own protection, it's not something you should count on.

If you take the computer in to an Apple Store, bring the BT mouse and keyboard with you, so you can demonstrate the problem with the actual devices you're using.

Just called long-distance to Logitech support and spent an hour with them. Support and I tried various things and they also could not solve the issue. They mentioned contacting Apple about compatibility issue but I told them that I already did that. Then, they said that they would escalate my case and asked me to wait for the next contact probably next Monday or Tuesday. They mentioned that whenever Apple updates the OS, there are compatibility issues with their products...

The MX Keys works fine if paired with an iPad, same MBP 16" but running Bootcamp Windows and same MBP 16" running Catalina but using the Logitech Uniyfing Receiver. Only have problem connecting via bluetooth with Catalina.

Ultraelektro

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2010
What was the outcome in your case? Got any solution? I have the old white bluetooth apple wireless keyboard with numeric keyboard. At startup it won't connect on its own. Setup is also buggy. My Logitech Anywhere mx 2 lags sometimes on my new 16'' macbook pro. Seems to be some Bluetooth pairing problem.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
What was the outcome in your case? Got any solution? I have the old white bluetooth apple wireless keyboard with numeric keyboard. At startup it won't connect on its own. Setup is also buggy. My Logitech Anywhere mx 2 lags sometimes on my new 16'' macbook pro. Seems to be some Bluetooth pairing problem.

To me the problem with older Bluetooth Seems to not speak to older Bluetooth devices regardless the computer!

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007

As I recall, there was a post somewhere in Apple forum which points to a place to download a driver from Logitech. Looks like the Logitech tech did not even know about the driver as I talked to her for a bit over an hour.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.