Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Somehow, despite all of my complaints, I’ve ended up with another Mac mini 2018.

It’s disappointing in many ways, but I hope the future will bring good things, especially in the transcoding space. Currently, with Plex Media Server or Emby, transcodes are not that much faster than my old 2012 and 2014 mini. Sad. I know some of this is on Plex/Emby, and some of this is on Apple, but jeez....

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
I’m confused by the OP. Doesn’t the perception of video quality depend upon the display being used? The MBP has a pixel-doubled Retina display. There is no mention of what display was used to test the Mac mini, and Mojave looks terrible on non-retina displays.

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
Doesn’t the perception of video quality depend upon the display being used? ... Mojave looks terrible on non-retina displays.

Odd that the rather large number of people editing video with Final Cut and DaVinci Resolve on Macs and non-Retina monitors don’t seem to be aware of this.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Odd that the rather large number of people editing video with Final Cut and DaVinci Resolve on Macs and non-Retina monitors don’t seem to be aware of this.
Haven’t you seen the countless threads about how Mojave handles antialiasing on non-Retina displays? I had my MBP hooked up to an ASUS 2560 x 1440 display and had to stop using it after Mojave because it looked so rough.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
You basically really need a 4k display with Mojave. Apple does not sell a computer that doesn't either come with a Retina display or can't drive one. The 2014 Mini was the last one (the old MBA can actually drive one, just doesn't come with one). Hoping that things will improve at a later version is...surreal.

I have a 2012 Mini and a HP LP 3065 display that can do 2560x1600. It's certainly not Retina, but I didn't really see much of a difference in rendering of the fonts. The color-scheme is different in Mail.app, that's the one thing that caught my attention.

It's 2019.
I bought a 17" CRT display that could do 1280x1024 in 1995. I bought a 19" CRT that could do 1600x1200 in 1999 (though the refresh-rate wasn't too great at that resultion).

Anybody using a 1080p display these days and complaining about it should question his choices in selecting a display.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
1080p 27" has 80PPI, that's... abysmal, really. I guess there's a difference but it looks terrible on all OS-es in 2019. High Sierra was no better.

I finally received my 4K ultrafine now and it looks stunning, i love it, and Mini has no issues driving it.

I've been fiddling with font rendering options via terminal on a spare system I use for such things, and running the UltraFine on that system makes fonts really thin now :)

I can't run the 4K with the my gf's 15" 2012, the i9 i don't have anymore, so I can only run it with the 13". I don't see a difference in rendering of anything between the UHD630 and Iris Pro 655.

And I maintain that if there was a difference it would mean that the Mini is faulty.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
You basically really need a 4k display with Mojave. Apple does not sell a computer that doesn't either come with a Retina display or can't drive one. The 2014 Mini was the last one (the old MBA can actually drive one, just doesn't come with one). Hoping that things will improve at a later version is...surreal.

I have a 2012 Mini and a HP LP 3065 display that can do 2560x1600. It's certainly not Retina, but I didn't really see much of a difference in rendering of the fonts. The color-scheme is different in Mail.app, that's the one thing that caught my attention.

It's 2019.
I bought a 17" CRT display that could do 1280x1024 in 1995. I bought a 19" CRT that could do 1600x1200 in 1999 (though the refresh-rate wasn't too great at that resultion).

Anybody using a 1080p display these days and complaining about it should question his choices in selecting a display.
You seem to be contradicting yourself, first saying you need a 4K (in order to access retina resolution 2x scaling), but then saying a 30 inch 2560x1600 (no-retina) looks fine in Mojave apart from some subtle colour differences. Which is it?

From my perspective, i've decided that Mojave on non-retina (27 inch 2560x1440) screens is absolutely fine - but I have done two things:
1. Disabled font smoothing in System Prefs
2. Increased the default font size to 13 in all finder windows

In addition, I've actually used SwitchResX and the GPU power of the UHD630 to enable downscaled (2x) retina rendering to non-retina screen. But this is purely to significantly sharpen up font rendering in Preview - which has been poor for the past few iterations of macOS. It has a very small impact on UI fonts.

Reactions: Synchro3

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
It looks OK for me - but then, it's not a 1080p display.
I've never really used a Retina screen for long enough to get used to it - especiallly not the one from a 15" MBP.

A decent 2560x1600 display these days is not much cheaper than a decent 4k display (or 5k for the matter).

robbier

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2008
Another potential cause of the initial color issue: macOS may be sending a signal with limited color range over the HDMI port (like an HDTV would prefer). I suspect a DisplayPort cable (using a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter) would send a video signal with full color range and the colors would "pop" just as on the MBP and iMac. I've had this exact same issue on other Macs, actually - limited, flat colors via HDMI vs. full, saturated colors when using another display port like DisplayPort or DVI.

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
I have a MBP 2015 dGPU with Mojave connected to non-retina screens (1080p) and I didn't notice any difference in font appearance after upgrading from High Sierra. Is this text rendering issue on all Macs running Mojave or some?

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
I have a MBP 2015 dGPU with Mojave connected to non-retina screens (1080p) and I didn't notice any difference in font appearance after upgrading from High Sierra. Is this text rendering issue on all Macs running Mojave or some?
It depends on a number of things - including whether or not you previously had font smoothing enabled on High Sierra, the external display, and one's own sensitivity to the difference. It is largely a personal preference. On a 2560x1440 27 inch running Mojave, I've found the best balance is to enable smoothing but to have it set on one of the "lower" smoothing options - available from a write defaults command.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I just got the new base model yesterday and thus far, I have been pleased with it, outside of the internal speakers being terrible; as in muffled and not very loud. It is a good thing I don't have to rely on the internal speakers. Otherwise, it would be going back. I have the mini hooked up to my 4K t.v. and 4K Apple TV and it looks really good. It is mirroring the display of the mini and as such, I don't have to squint to read the screen from my recliner about 14 feet away.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
The internal speaker is pretty much a utility speaker. equivalent of the gold ol' PC speaker.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
That sums it up nicely. For the price, I hoped Apple would have done better. I do like that it is silent.
Frankly, mini is rarely in a position that would function well as a speaker: the only position that would work is having it dead center below the screen, everything else would make it a ****** speaker regardless of objective quality of it.

fwiw, it looks very similar to the Mac Pro speaker. They all had **** speakers

Reactions: Synchro3

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
To anyone reading this thread and thinking Mini has crap rendering:

Mini's GPU is fine and renders fine, there's no difference to OS/photo rendering on my 2012 rMBP, my returned 2018 i9, 2018 Mini and 2018 13" MBP.

Whatever issues OP was having were specific to his setup and it's unfortunate he wasn't able to fix them.

The OP was using a cheap standard DPI monitor, I think that was at the root of his issues. His confusion about the cause of his issues is why this thread is so long.

Reactions: Ploki

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
So apparently, the (U)HD 630 is completely capable of running the internal 2880*1800 display, and you are the only person ever that has claimed that GPU has "sharpness issues".
The idea that a video card plays back video "more sharply" seems insane to me

Reactions: Ploki

kensic

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2013
I was worried about fan noise and pissed off about the soldered SSD
and the stupid-high memory prices but I accepted it and bought one
anyway from BestBuy.

What is making me return it is something I had never considered.
My 2017 15" Macbook Pro has a discrete Radeon Pro 555.

Graphics speed seemed laggy on the 2018 I5 Mini but even that wasn't
the deal breaker. It was the video quality. Going back and forth
between the 2017 Macbook Pro 15" and the Mini shows one thing
everytime:

The Radeon renders sharper and cleaner text and images.
Pictures and Movies show more detail and look more 3D and seem
to produce more "depth". You perceive more depth to objects
rendered. When you look at Yahoo's home page everything POPs
more with lot's of perceived depth and 3D like presentation.
It looks clean and eye popping like the 27" Imac looks clean and eye popping.
(Granted, the 27" Imac has way more pop and is razor sharp)

The Mini's video seems flat and is not as sharp with less of that 3D like POP.
Playing with the monitor controls like sharpness, saturation, color temps
do not redeem the Mini. Text is not as sharp the web pages look dirty
in comparison to the Radeon 555.

I tried 2 expensive HDMI cables. One was Monster Cable the other
was AudioQuest, same results. Tried 2 different monitors, same results.

I plan to build an I5 NUC just for fun as a project and to tinker then probably
resell it when I'm done playing with it.

It looks like I will just have to learn to live with the dongles, cable mess,
and large foot print of the 2017 15" Macbook Pro on my desk.

I have a new-found respect for the Macbook Pro with discrete Radeon Pro 555.
For me, the 2018 Mini was a total loser for video speed & quality never mind
the soldered SSD and stupid-high ram prices.

I don't understand the blind fan-boy love people on this site have for everything
Apple. It is somewhat irritating because we need to seek out the best hardware
for MacOS regardless of who makes it. I think the fanboys try to squash any
reasonable discussion "for seeking the best or most affordable hardware to run MacOS"
once people suggest using non-apple hardware. It's too bad. Apple needs
to do a better job with certain offerings.

I really like MacOS, I really appreciate the Macbook Pro with Radeon 555, but the
2018 Mini is overpriced and a loser for video quality. SnazzyLabs was right in all
his complaints and observations regarding the 2018 Mini. You can do better for
cheaper. For me I can do better by sticking with my Macbook Pro with Radeon 555.

One more kicker, the Macbook Pro felt a little more responsive to me than the 2018
Mini and that is probably due to the Radeon Pro 555 and the fact that my Macbook Pro
has a 512GB SSD as opposed to the Mini's 256GB SSD. The Macbook Pro was snappier
in everyday use.

I hope this post helps the non apple fanboys. I strongly suggest the MacBook Pro with
Radeon discrete video, an Imac with Radeon discrete video, or build a hackintosh with
a Radeon video card that will outperform apple hardware for less money.

so you're complaining about the colors, sharpness yet you have not say what monitor you're using the mini with.
and you're comparing it to a 2017 mpb with retina screen which is one of the best color/sharpness out there.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
The last century ended less than 20 years ago.
So you got nothing. And your whole objection to my questioning video cards affecting "sharpness" was just ignorant childish popping off. Congratulations. There is no "kiddie table" here
at Mac Rumors, but if there was you'd be asked to eat crow at it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.