Tried all the new MB & MBP's yesterday

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbreiner, Dec 3, 2016.

1. jbreiner, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2016

jbreiner macrumors newbie

jbreiner

Went to a local Apple store yesterday to decide on a "size" and purchase a new laptop. Presently I use a 15" MacBook Pro 11,3 mid 2014 that was configured to order and fully maxed out when purchased. I use the machine daily and have really grown to rely on it and like it. Everything I do for business happens in the Window world so my office desktop and previous carry-arounds were from the other camp. So I use both products day to day interchangeably. I choose to originate and maintain my mission critical personal work on the Mac. Anyway, one of my kids needs to replace his 7-8 year old MBP and I was going to give this one to him after buying an updated device and porting all the data over. I went to the store for a hands on look and feel.

My initial intent was to size down to 13" for easier carry and give up half the power. Maybe even buy a 12" Macbook and give up 3/4s of the power in my current machine but with a huge gain in portability for traveling where I do not take on heavy-lifting business tasks. Oh, I don't play any games on it typically.

The short and long of it is ..... what a disappointment. Aside from the eye-poping price increase (which seems like paying more for less) , I could hardly tolerate the feel and action of any of the new keyboards (compared to my 2014 machine). The older machines are still on sale for a couple dollars less and I gave that some thought but passed on that idea right now. The kid will have to wait. So, I came home empty handed and sat down to think about the comparison and test my current machine. It clocks much faster in almost every respect (Geekbench 4) than any of the new machines in the store I could actually touch although they did not have one with the CPU options maxed to try out. From the online literature and bench marks published to date my experience holds true. I am still using 10.11.6 because if it's not broke I don't fix it just to create a bunch of unexpected incompatibility issues. My current mid 2014 MBP with the earlier OS on it performs better in most respects so why suffer the learning curve or "liking curve" on the new keyboard and track pad. Incidentally, same goes for the "gigantic" touch pad. I had to think and work hard to do anything with it although I usually prefer using an apple mouse. The strip at the top was no big deal and is just something else to get use to but in the store while trying out the key board with different applications the "strip" seemed to be balky and lag well behind what I was typing. Added to the fact that that great magnetic charging connector is gone along with every other useful connection or adapter on the machine; I'm out of the que.......for a replacement. I'll wait a year or a couple if necessary and fall back to that old "buy a good refurbed familiar one on eBay" before I'll spend that much to trade down.

I'm probably in the tiny minority of one who feels this way. They call it progress; not me. Apple has nothing to worry about I'm sure but I won't be paying an Apple tax again for a while (at least for a laptop) until I tryout a new MB, MBP that makes a far better initial impression. I am a engineer by trade so a techy by nature. What's the matter Apple? What do any other's out there think?

2. Uplift macrumors 6502

I managed to try the new MBP's today, I've had my order in since they started taking orders but kept re-configuring the machine so delivery date kept getting pushed back. I've done done a lot (ALOT!!) of reading and was mostly on the fence for a while, but then i'd gotten to the point where I had pretty much convinced myself that it was a stupid purchase and that my last gen rMBP would do the job for another few years... of course I needed to try it first and today I got the chance.

First of all the design is just wow... the thinner bezel on the display, bigger trackpad, nicer (looking) keyboard and space grey unibody is simply beautiful.

I'm on a retina now and thought the screen was stunning, perfect even... the new model is better.

The keyboard, it is the first time I have used a butterfly keyboard. I only had 10 minutes but didn't feel like I hated it at all... I actually liked it, I kept switching between last years model for comparison.. It will certainly take some getting used to but mainly because the overall keyboard size seemed smaller so the distance between keys seemed to throw me off... I guess it'll be a case of getting used to the new layout.. as for the clicky short travel of the keys, I'm not concerned at all.

I didn't notice any UI lag.

The touch bar seemed great, I didn't use it for much, just the usual controls (brightness, volume).. I liked it.

Overall I was very happy and now I can't wait to receive it. I'll have a couple of weeks to give it a proper run out and evaluate it's performance but the machine is definitely not as bad as others are making out.

3. chabig macrumors 68040

I have the base 13". It's the nicest MacBook I've ever owned, and also the fastest. It runs rings around the 2014 MacBooks. I love the size, the trackpad, and the keyboard. The touch bar will have a nice future I think, as it becomes more common. I'm sure the price will go down. New MacBooks have always come in at the top of the price range. In 2009 I paid about $2500 for a 15" machine, so people complaining today have short memories.

4. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

Can someone please explain this great inner turmoil that people seem to be experiencing with the touchpad? I have been using my MBP for two weeks now and it is faultless - no false hits and I love being able to barely move my hands to access the touchpad.

Are people coming to these conclusions through artificial testing (sitting at your MBP and trying to find ways in which it fails by performing finger gymnastics on the touchpad) or real world use? Puzzling.

5. chabig macrumors 68040

It's different, so some people must complain. Further, they pile on, because with low self esteem they like to feel as though they are part of the "in" crowd.

6. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

I’ve had my base 13” TB for two days now. I love it. I’m coming off a 15’ rMB and the only complaint is it’s larger, thicker, and mostly, heavier. It’s slightly smaller and the same weight as my previous MBAs. The keyboard feels HUGE compared to my rMB and the extra touch pad space is welcome as well. Battery life, so far, is better than my rMB but not near as good as my last MBA. This machine cost about $100 +/- $50 than my previous rMB and outperforms it in every way so far. I’m only giving up 1lb. and a few sq. inches. Not that critical for me.

I think there’s just a learning curve for new users of both the keyboard and trackpad. You won’t even notice after a month.

7. jbreiner thread starter macrumors newbie

jbreiner

I agree with much of what you've said based on "how soon you need to buy a new machine". If I "really needed one right now, I'd certainly buy a MBP" before going back to a windows device and get used to the differences while sorting out the new features. Post your impressions after you have used it a while and compare the differences and new features to your earlier device for the rest of us. I will be very interested to read that.....and it might change my mind.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 4, 2016 ---
    I hope everything you said is true.

8. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

ummm its just so damn large. So many are having to reposition their wrists.... If its great for you, fantastic. Though I can see some having issues with it. Im indifferent.

9. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

Oh my god, no...not that...not...repositioning your wrists?! Has anyone alerted the cavalry? We ride at dawn for democracy and hot justice.

First world problemeteers hooooooo!

10. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

yawn.......google ergonomic .... might learn something ;)

11. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail, Dec 4, 2016

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

Okay, since you're so unrelentingly brittle on here, in addition to being off point, I'll indulge you. If the touch pad size demands a horrendous movement of your wrist (moment's silence), simply ignore the extra real estate and fathom an imaginary box of touch pad akin to the size of the former models in your mind and use accordingly. Problem sorted.

As for palm intereferance, I have actually tried to accidentally engage the touch pad with my palms whilst typing and I cannot do it. We all know that the MBP is glitchy and so people's experiences here vary but does anyone honestly believe less is more with the new iteration of touchpads, especially once any imperfections are ironed out?

12. MH01, Dec 4, 2016

MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Short summary, its going from what people are used to, to much much bigger....get over it, human nature is reluctance to deal with change.... ?

As I said , I'm indifferent....which means Im not here to debate pros/cons.....

13. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

I'm asking the question because I wanted an answer as to what the real world problems are with the TP.Simple really.

I think you'll find it's only you who cannot stomach light humour. Happy to be told otherwise by others though...

14. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

you are correct, Sunday handover is not helping my humour ;) poor from from me, Im glad you enjoy it. For me its awkward cause of the size, but the more I use it , the more I get used to it, its neither good or bad, just different at present.

15. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

Which is all good and well. But accusing me of things like a 'superiority complex' is again, unfounded. We can all bandy about criticism all day long on here. Helps no one.

As an aside - I have issues with TB glitches and so I assure you that I'm not sailing around preaching MBP perfection.

16. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Ive already corrected my posts which were out of line.

I bought a 2015 and 2016 at the same time, so I have no vested interest in either, will return the one that suit my needs less. So far its pros and cons between the two. I don't use TB, has little use for me, just disappointed there is no physical esc button like there is power button. Best feature is touch id and the Lovely screen, battery the worst.

17. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

Bloody Mary. Trust me ;)

18. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I hear you.....I gotta follow my own advice, "don't be a keyboard warrior hangover, just not funny for anyone...." Right where is that vodka....