Tried downgrading phone back to iOS 5, got an error PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Sylon, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

I was having issues with iOS 6 beta 2, so I tried going back to iOS 5.1.1 to go thru the whole process again. I ran thru the process in Xcode installing 5.1.1, and it threw an error saying something about not able to expand files or something, I don't remember. Now the iPhone is stuck on the screen showing the iTunes logo and the USB. Neither iTunes nor Xcode will acknowledge it being connected, and every time I open iTunes to begin with, it keeps telling me that its unable to check for iPhone updates because its not connected to the internet. I have internet, but I cannot get onto the Apple Developer site at all.

What do I do? Is my iPhone bricked or something?

2. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

3. Sylon thread starter macrumors 68020

Sylon

I was able to get the phone into recovery mode, iTunes was able to detect that. However, iTunes isn't able to connect to Apple's update server, so the whole restore fails. Like I said, I can't get to the Developer site either. I think Apple's website/servers are down and it happened at the worst time for me.

4. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

I don't understand why it won't find it through iTunes.. Maybe someone else can chime in?? Good luck and I'm sure your phone isn't bricked...

5. Sylon thread starter macrumors 68020

Sylon

I was able to get it back to normal, albeit running iOS 6 instead of what I was intending. The problem wasn't with the install, it was the Apple Store. My iTunes cannot connect to the iTunes Store, and I bet that's what Xcode was running into as well.

Can anyone access the iTunes Store from within iTunes? Because I can't and that made attempting to restore the phone once I got to the splash screen even more of a hassle.

Also, I'm new to developing, once iOS 6 is installed and I restore from iTunes, isn't iTunes supposed to recognize my phone and not think its a brand new phone? Because every time I restore from backup (for my contacts, apps, etc), it keeps bringing me back to the "this is a new phone, would you like to restore from backup?" screen on iTunes. Why won't it recognize my phone?