Tried emtpy hard disc and space still the same.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by novetan, Oct 4, 2010.

1. novetan macrumors 6502

I just delete all items in my portable hard disc and intend to start backing up in Time Machine but the space in the portable hard disc doesn't reduced a single bit. Its the same as before. (ie I check Get Info and it still show me half full and not all has being emptied). I tried copying some big file and it prompt me not enough space.

Does it mean I have to empty the trash. I have already unplug the portable hard disc.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You have to empty the trash with the portable drive plugged in and connected.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, you have to empty the Trash, as simply removing the HDD will not get rid of the contents in the Trash.
    The portable HDD has to be connected and mounted to successfully empty the Trash though.

Sounds more like 17 million cycles I suppose?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you need to plug it back in and empty the trash, or reformat it.

5. novetan thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, thanks for all the quick replies.

I just got to make sure that I understand correctly because once I empty it, its gone forever. Sorry for long winded as I really have to be doubly sure.

I have already unpluged the portable hard disc. So you mean I can plug in again and it still sync?

I briefly read somewhere before that the trash cannot be selectively emptied. It has to be emptied all at one go. Is that correct?

If its the case, then its quite weird. Wonder why it got to be like that.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, plug in the drive, then empty the trash. You can't empty part of the trash. It's all or nothing.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The hidden Trash folder is located on every volume or HDD you put something into the Trash, as moving (copying) the data you delete on an external HDD onto the internal HDD just so you can restore it from the Trash would sometimes take very long.
    Thus the items you delete are moved to the hidden Trash folder on the volume or HDD you delete it on.
    Therefore the data is still there and the HDD capacity is still the same until you empty the Trash (the HDD, on which the data was moved into the Trash has to be connected to do so). Emptying the Trash will not actually delete the data though, but the HDD capacity is increased due to the sectors being allowed again to be written to, thus the data will actually get deleted when you write new data onto the volume or HDD.

But you still can't selectively empty the Trash, thus data on all connected volumes or HDDs will get emptied from the Trash too.
    Or you could simply reformat the HDD or volume if you want to go around the Trash "obstacle".

8. novetan thread starter macrumors 6502