Tried Everything (i think) and MBP Freezes all the time....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by reedlight, Jan 6, 2011.

1. reedlight macrumors newbie

I'm all out of possibilities, as far as I can think..

I wound up with a Macbook Pro 2ghz Core Duo, and while I knowit's old as hell, I'd like to get it in proper working order, as I feel it still has a lot of life in it if I can get it to stop freezing.

It freezes without rhyme or reason, there's no specific application, action, etc that the issue is confined to. It's anything at any time.

I've tried replacing the hard drive, there's an issue with the dvd drive so I just cloned the startup drive, I've repaired permissions, used 3rd party programs to wipe caches, verify and repair the hdd, even wipe and restore system and application settings. I just put new ram in it as well. I'm considering purchasing a new superdrive or external optical drive just to be able to run the hardware test or try a fresh install, but I hoped to obtain some insight prior to spending more money than I already have put into it. I've really put a lot of time into this, and as much as I'd like to take the ultimate solution and just buy a new mbp, that's not an option at the moment.

Any advice? I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks.

2. DudeMartin macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Perhaps hardware damage? (spills, etc)

3. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

it could be the hd. ssd would be the best option i think even though its expensive.

however at school i work as a sound technician in the concert hall and we used to have a mac g5. it started to freeze up a lot not doing any straining programs. (when we ran protools it wasnt pretty :D) anyway it could just be the motherboard. the processor is old and its starting to fail. that was the case in our g5 so i wouldnt be surprised.

4. DudeMartin macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Also, does it freeze at approximately the same time or random times (sometimes 2 hrs, sometimes 2 days)? it wouldnt make sense for motherboard failure if it's inconsistent with freezes...

5. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

wouldnt it make it more likely if its the processor.

also i just thought you could consider buying techtool and it runs a system scan of everything and could tell you

6. Inside_line macrumors regular

Need more description of the freeze... it get stuck and then keeps going? Needs reboot? Grey screen?

I've got the same machine and it got progressively buggier as I updated from tiger to leopard to snow leopard. Barring a hardware problem, these machines were designed for 10.4 and I bet if you revert it will run faster and with less problems.

7. reedlight thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input, guys.

As far as a description of the actual freeze, I've not noticed any consistencies as far as time. Sometimes it's a few minutes, sometimes it's a few hours, and I could run 12-16 tracks in logic fine, but it could then freeze from loading gmail.

When it freezes it is sometimes the pinwheel and nothing responds, not even key commands (force quit, etc), but the pinwheel spins and the cursor moves. It'll do this for a while. I usually get impatient, and power down with the power button and reboot. The one time I left it to see how long it would take to finish whatever it was doing, it sat for 45 in that state.

The other times the screen just freezes. nothing moves, no cursor, nothing. Nothing like the kernel panics I had grown to love on my G4 back in the day.

I'll have to try techtool and see what happens. Thanks guys, I'll relay my findings.