Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ifoam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
I have a 2g Iphone on 3.1.2 . Jailbroken With Blackra1n.

The wifi on my iphone has worked on various routers for the last 6 months... Then the other day it just stopped. :(

I've tried the following:

1. Reseting the network settings
2. Reseting all setting
3. Restoring the iphone to various backup dates
4. Completly wiping to new
5. Putting the iphone in the fridge to cool it down!
6. Disabling the routers security so no password is needed.

My iphone can see the router but only connects for 5 seconds then disconnects. This is as far as I can get.

During those 5 seconds when I look at the DHCP only the "IP Address" and "Subnet Mask" fields are filled in. The rest are blank.

Please! any one got any ideas??

Thanks
Jen x

ifoam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
Thanks guys

The router works perfect with a laptop but i haven't got access to another router right now...

The one at my dads said "unable to connect" even when the correct password was used but again this router worked pefectly until two days ago.

Any ideas? I really appreciate your help x

ifoam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
yeah :(

Theres so much info about bad wifi on iphone but I just dont know what to try next...

x

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I have a 2g Iphone on 3.1.2 . Jailbroken With Blackra1n.

The wifi on my iphone has worked on various routers for the last 6 months... Then the other day it just stopped. :(

I've tried the following:

1. Reseting the network settings
2. Reseting all setting
3. Restoring the iphone to various backup dates
4. Completly wiping to new
5. Putting the iphone in the fridge to cool it down!
6. Disabling the routers security so no password is needed.

My iphone can see the router but only connects for 5 seconds then disconnects. This is as far as I can get.

During those 5 seconds when I look at the DHCP only the "IP Address" and "Subnet Mask" fields are filled in. The rest are blank.

Please! any one got any ideas??

Thanks
Jen x

You did the fridge test, I see. Did you get an extension of the 5 seconds right after you took it out? If so, you know definitely that it is a hardware fault.

FYI, it's not the router, since you said it doesn't work on two different ones.

ifoam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
The fridge test didn't seem to improve anything. It still droped out after 5 or so seconds?

:(

x

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
The fridge test didn't seem to improve anything. It still droped out after 5 or so seconds?

:(

x

Well, the fridge test is just a definitive test. It still sounds like your wifi hardware is bad (even more so, because you have a 2G....i.e., it's old). I know you restored, but did you try DFU mode? It probably won't help, but you seem to have done everything else.

ifoam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
Oh dear, DFU did nothing. Might try the fridge thing for even longer this time.

Any more ideas?

x

ifoam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
5 hours, totally forgot about my iphone in the freezer. Kinda felt like when Butters left Cartman in the snow...

Anyway it gave me like an extra second maybe? still drops out after 5 or 6 seconds.

And still when I look at the DHCP only the "IP Address" and "Subnet Mask" fields are filled in. The rest are blank.

Oh hamburgers

Any more ideas? Can I do a physical fix or diy mod? or could it still be software and not harware?

x

ifoam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
What do I need to replace? is it just the INTERNAL WIFI & PHONE ANTENNA MODULE FOR IPHONE 2G?

I've seen one here onebay.

If thats all it is do u think it would be easy enough? any tutorials out there?

Thanks for all your help

x

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Its definatelly not a simple/easy process.
If you dont know what you're doing you might waste your money and ruin the phone.
I'd suggest taking it to an iphone repair place and see if they can replace your wifi chip for ya.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Its definatelly not a simple/easy process.
If you dont know what you're doing you might waste your money and ruin the phone.
I'd suggest taking it to an iphone repair place and see if they can replace your wifi chip for ya.

Replacing parts of your iPhone is very difficult, but can be done. There are many videos an guides on the Internet. Ifixit should have the parts you think you need. Be very careful when you try as you could kill your iPhone.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
What do I need to replace? is it just the INTERNAL WIFI & PHONE ANTENNA MODULE FOR IPHONE 2G?

I've seen one here onebay.

If thats all it is do u think it would be easy enough? any tutorials out there?

Thanks for all your help

x

I wouldn't waste my time, because it could be a board or chip problem, and you'll still not have wifi. You also could make things worse. However, it could work. It's kind of up to you.

sepafe

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2010
Had this problem after i instaled 5 rows in dock in cydia :mad:
Had to remove it , restarted twice and bang , all fine ;)

timsutcliffe

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
Same thing

I had the same problem back in September, and i've been without my wifi ever since. It used to pick up a network occasionally and then not be able to connect to it, and now I get nothing.

I know it doesn't help, but I thought i'd let you know you're not the only one. I'll hopefully be upgrading when/if the new iPhone comes out and getting what I can for mine on eBay.

SimpleServe

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
-aggie- is right, it's a hardware problem. Specifically, accumulated fatigue in the solder joints on your PCB.

Bottom line, to repair you need to reflow the solder joints. If you're under warranty take your phone back to Apple and get it replaced. If you're out of warranty, take it to Apple and demand a replacement anyway. If they balk and refuse you can try to fix it the way I did:

Here's a YT video on how to repair iphone wifi by reflowing your pcb.

If you prefer the written word, you can read how to reflow your iphone motherboard in the oven

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.