Tried Everything to Print from my Mac to a Printer on PC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LiveForever, Apr 18, 2008.

1. LiveForever macrumors 6502

I have tried everything I can think of to try and print form My Mac (running 0S x 10.4.11) to a printer connected to a XP PC over our home network. The mac is connected using wireless and internet and some file sharing works OK.

I can see our printer on the network a Canon Multifunction Mx310 listed but it just won't print.

Iv'e tried several methods found from google searches but none works. The thing is my Printer Utility menus don't look like the ones they list on the few guides Iv'e tried. I can't find any reference to samba for example. (eg in http://www.mac-connect.com)

Iv'e even installed tye Mac versions of the Canon drivers but they don't show up either. When I go to add printer it lists canon but not our model

Any hints anyone??.

From what Iv'e read this is a very common problem and apple doesn't make it easy. In comparison sharing a printer over PC's is a doddle.

2. LiveForever thread starter macrumors 6502

After 2 days solid on this I finally did it!!

This was very usefiul but I had to downlaod the Gutenprint to get the correct driver for my Canon Pixma printer.

Surely it must be easier than this. They ahve to sort this out as it must be said most people have PC's and will use shared PC printers with macs,