Tried Installing BitTorrent, Browser Homepage Changed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr. Incredible, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Mr. Incredible macrumors 6502a

I haven't been a Mac user since 2012, but yesterday I got myself the 15 inch MacBook Pro, because I need something powerful enough to run Adobe software for school.

I first downloaded Chrome and set it as my default browser. Afterwards, I went to BitTorrent and installed it on my laptop, but for some reason when I would search something on the program, no results were being displayed.

When I opened my browser, the homepage was changed to Yahoo.com. After closing BitTorrent, and closing chrome and reopening it, it was still Yahoo. I even went to settings and changed the home page, closed the window, reopened it, and it still gave me the problem.

At the end, I uninstalled BitTorrent, went to settings on my chrome browser and it was fixed.

I'm wondering, should I be worried? Could my two day old macbook have a Trojan/virus/malware? Should I do a factory reset? Take it to Apple to get diagnosed? Will resetting my device hinder performance?

I'm sorry if I'm asking bad questions. I haven't owned a Mac in three years, and I paid more for this than my previous iMac, which is why I'm freaking out now.

Please help me with my situation.

Thank you,
    Moses

2. Mik3F macrumors 6502

You selected Yes to the optional offer when you installed Bit Torrent.

Nothing to worry about

3. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

4. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

I have uTorrent and haven't had any problems with it since and I've been using it for over a year now. I highly doubt that you got a malware/trojan/virus as such cases are extremely rare or close to impossible for ay Mac to get so you shouldn't worry.You most likely forgot to check off the promotional offer when installing like someone previously mentioned.

5. Mik3F macrumors 6502

He will have done, as I did the same when installing BitTorrent.

I now run all my torrent direct from my NAS so don't need any client installed on my Mac