Tried installing OSX from external disc drive...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by marchellobb, Mar 15, 2011.

1. marchellobb macrumors member

Long story short: my macbook got tolen, police found it, the guy wiped it clean of all info, but a CD is stuck inside (confirmed physical damage).

I'm not interested in paying 300$ to get a new CD drive, I tried hooking up my external CD drive (USB), and my computer recognized the disc. All looked like it was going well, but when I get to the 'select destination' part, the 'Hard Drive' appears very light (as in UNCLICKABLE), so I could'nt select a drive to install OSX on.

HELP?

2. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I had a similar problem and tried to install it using target disk mode on my daughter's MacBook. I posted here and got several suggestions, but none of them worked. I could never make it work and ended up having to install a new optical drive. I hope you have better luck.

3. eman macrumors 6502a

Did you use "disk utility" on it first and erase and format the drive with one partition in OSX extended journaled"?

4. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

Yeah definitely seems like it should work no problem. I would go into disk utility while you are running off the cd disc and format the hard drive.

5. marchellobb thread starter macrumors member

Maybe it has to do with the fact it says 'Available 100gb, total 145gb' even though the computer was completely restored?

6. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

Yeah it seems like you need to format the hard drive for sure.

7. marchellobb thread starter macrumors member

I'll try it out next time i get access to my friends' CD drive thanks guys