Tried installing WIndows 7 in Bootcamp...Loads w/ Black Screen?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MrDexx, Sep 5, 2010.

1. MrDexx macrumors member

Hi All,

I followed the instructions from Apples website to install Windows 7 on a partition within Bootcamp...

the installation goes fine initially, but when the computer restarts to go into Windows 7 to finish the installation...it starts the restart but as it enters Windows the screen goes black!

I tried doing the recommendation of putting some drivers on a USB flash drive and connecting the USB directly into one of the backports of the monitor...no success...

Anyone had a similar issue or know whats going wrong?

This is on an '10 iMac i7 27"

Please help =(

~Dexx

2. vistadude macrumors 65816

3. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

This solved my problems with my 09 i7 iMac. It's not an appe failure, but microsoft.

4. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

5. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

Because the ATI drivers bundled with the OS, also Windows is a Microsoft product, not Apple's.

6. vistadude macrumors 65816

It's an apple failure. Apple uses a cryptic hack to install windows, which is not how it's meant to be installed. Windows 7 works fine with all other manufacturer's computers.

7. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

And Windows 7 runs fines on thousands of Macs. Op, just a quick question.. is the install disk still in the drive when you reboot?

8. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

It wouldn't matter if the install disc is still in the computer because a screen will come saying 'Press any key to boot from CD or DVD...' which, if nothing is pressed, will continue to boot from the hard drive.

9. Nordichund macrumors 6502

I have installed Windows using BootCamp about 5 times now on 3 different kinds of Mac, and everyone has been a nightmare when it comes to the "Press any key" message.
    As far as I remember if nothing is pressed the message just stays there. The problem is something I believe to do with Windows not recognizing an Apple keyboard, though I guess somebody on here would know the real reason.

To the OP good luck and keep trying, you will get there in the end. Personally, I think it could be an Apple trick to bring out the frustrations of using Windows at an early stage :D

10. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I guess everyone's experience is there own. I've had no problems install Windows on an Apple computer. But then again, I have run into problems installing Windows on computers built for Windows. I've even had problems installing OS X on an Apple computer in the past.

11. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

When I installed Win 7 for the first time, my MBP had the same issue. Everytime I restarted, after the installation, it hung at the black screen. I was really frustrated until I took out the install disk; it then booted into Windows for the first time. It never prompted me to press any key.

12. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

13. MrDexx thread starter macrumors member

Got it figured out on my next try guys =)

I just re-deleted the partial partition I had created, re-formatted the USB flashdrive, and tried again as per the Apple support site instructions...good to go!

Took me another 15-20 min to figure out how to get the Magic Mouse working with Windows 7, but a bootcamp 3.1 installation later...good to go!

Thanks everyone =)

~Dexx

14. mmulin macrumors 6502

This specific issue is due to the UEFI version in the Mac Pro. W7 (x64) doesn't support this but there is a workaround by creating your own W7 installation DVD. Known issue and there are clear instructions on the internet to be found.