Tried the 13" cMBP for one week, decided to go Retina instead

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fissure, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Fissure macrumors 6502

i7 2.9 750gb HD, everything was fine, told myself I could live with the 1280x800 resolution and for a few days it was fine, then I had to hook the thing up to a projector during a class, that's when it hit me, the resolution just was not high enough and I did not want a 15" laptop. Everything else was fine. I was planning on upgrading to a SSD and 8gb more RAM eventually.

So I returned it and a 13" 2.9 i7 512gb SSD 8GB rMBP should be delivered to me this morning. I figure I can live with only 8gb of RAM. It cost the same as the cMPB + upgrades. All I'm losing is the optical drive and 8gb of RAM and a 750gb HD that I would have sold but I'm gaining resolution a little weight reduction an HDMI port and the capability to output to 2 monitors.

2. Danmoore03 macrumors newbie

I recently sold my 13" ( mid 2010 ) MBP, i loved it, the resolution was a little small but i eventually got used to it. Just picked up a 15" rMBP, I honestly could be happier right now, the machine is great and more then i expected. You won't regret it.

3. Sean76 macrumors 6502

Sean76

Once you use a retina its over, there is really no going back. Both my dads and brothers cMBP's look really great and crisp, right up until I put them next to my rMBP...Then its a whole diff world!

I had the Air before my retina pro, and its really a world of difference.

4. Fissure thread starter macrumors 6502

I received it a few hours ago, have been busy setting it up.

Me likey!

Used QuickRes to change to the native 2560x1600 resolution, yikes, probably won't use it set to that on a daily basis but I wouldn't say it was an unusable resolution for me at least.

A few things I have noticed. Keep in mind this is more of a comparison between the 13" cMBP as I had that for just about a week and hadn't owned a Mac portable since 2001 or so.

Aesthetically and functionally I preferred the metal or solid round Power button on the cMBP. This one is just another key on the keyboard, it works but it's a bit cheap feeling. The old button on the cMBP feels and looks higher end and more professional. I am sure this was a cost saving thing but I am a bit surprised Apple compromised.

The speakers sound a bit nicer, not a whole lot, but a tad.

It's silent. The cMBP I could hear but most likely it had to do with the non SSD drive but it could have been the fans as well.

I went ahead and installed the EFI update for Retina MBP's even though I had read about it causing problems. I haven't had any of the symptoms after the install.

I haven't really noticed any scrolling lag within Firefox or Safari.

No dead pixels, haven't done a image retention test yet.

All and all I am glad I switched for sure. The screen is mind blowing.

5. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

We all have different reasons for getting a normal MBP instead of/or a rMBP.

Do keep in mind however that you won't be able to upgrade to 16GB RAM. There is also some controversy over screen issues and the durability/reliability of rMBPs. Because everything is soldered in, if something breaks, you're looking at an expensive repair cost, or an entire rMBP replacement altogether.

6. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I was totally down for a Retina Macbook.

Then I found out I can't upgrade it. I refuse to pay Apple 200 dollars to add 8GB of ram, or 200 for a minor SSD upgrade. I hate being ripped off like that.

I can live with the screen knowing I can(and have) put a SSD and RAM of my choice.

Also once the newness factor wears out, I'm going to put another 840 Pro in the optical bay and RAID 0 it for fun. Can't do that with Retina. :(

Also can't repair it, sigh. I want that screen, but not with those soldered guts.

7. vampireszombies macrumors 6502

I have the same dilemma as you, except I did mine backwards. I ordered a 8/256gb 2.3 rMBP 13 first which should be delivered to me this Tuesday. While ordering I couldn't decide whether to get the 2.9 cMBP 13 instead, since I'm not sure how long I intend to stick with the same laptop, if I get a rMBP I'm assuming I have to "upgrade" to a new machine every couple years but with the cMBP, everyone talks about it lasting 5 years+ do to the ability to upgrade the ram etc.
    So if I'm happy with the rMBP ill keep it, if not ill save the $100 and get the cMBP.

8. Sean76 macrumors 6502

Sean76

I think were looking at the guts being soldered in pretty much all of Apples machines down the road...A little gutsy by them, but I guess they dont want people tinkering. Overall its looking like people are going to just have to really put some thought into how long they want they're machine to last them when they buy it.

----------

I agree on the power button! Feels top notch on the cMBP...Noticed that as soon as I took it out of the box. They pretty much went with how the Air is set up!

9. Fissure thread starter macrumors 6502

I also noticed there isn't a pulsing sleep light indicator on the rMBP like there is on the cMBP. No biggie but it was a nice and impressive engineering touch on the cMBP. I think Apple had to cut a few corners (power button) and the sleep indicator to get the cost down as much as possible to offset the screen cost.

So far I have really enjoyed the resolution. It is simply amazing. The crispness is jaw dropping. I can't help it, everytime I see it I'm amazed and shake my head back and forth.

To me, for my use cases, the display is well worth the lack of upgradabilty to 16gb of RAM and the 512gb of storage is plenty. Ideally I would have paid extra for the additional 8gb of memory but it's not offered and 8gb total should be fine for me for a few years.

Here's hoping my encrypted Time Machine backup to a 3TB USB 2.0 drive finishes soon so I can use the laptop outside of the office. It's been "encrypting" for 12+ hours now :( I need to get a Thunderbolt enclosure.

10. AppleTecFan macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan

I don't think "cutting corners" is the correct term. They wanted to minimize as much as possible. and the power button is logical, because that is the old eject button for the classic MacBook for the CD; but there is no longer a CD drive

11. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

what we really need is a high-res screen for the old 13... :D

wake me up when this 'retina' can pack 16gb of ram and 1.5 TB of internal storage on the cheap.