Tried the new 2016 MacBook Pro keyboard at a store

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deepdishstar, Nov 2, 2016.

1. deepdishstar macrumors newbie

It felt good. Very precise. Much better than the 2015 MacBook's keyboard. I think I'll get used to it quickly. Now my older keyboard feels kind of wobbly.

2. sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

Read the same from other reviews, it's great news actually. I must say I've gotten quite used to my 12" MacBook keyboard, but it's still somewhat worse than the Magic Keyboard. Not quite enough feedback maybe. How would you say the new MacBook Pros compare to the Magic Keyboard?

3. deepdishstar thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, I think you'll like it.

In terms of Apple external keyboards I only have the wired one with the numeric pad, which feels the same as the older MacBooks. I think I'll grow to like the new MacBook Pro keyboard better. Felt more accurate and precise. Can't wait for my order to arrive!

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

I'm an old curmudgeon, who learned to type on REAL "typewriters" that didn't even plug into the wall back in the 1960's.

Stopped by the local BestBuy yesterday and they actually had the new "fkey" MacBook Pro (non-touchbar) sitting next to the 2015 MBPro, so an easy comparison between the two became possible.

It was the first time I'd ever tried using the "new-style" short-travel keyboards.

I opened Pages on both models, and tried typing a few lines of text.

The 2015 model felt pretty much the same as my 2010 MBPro. An easy transition.

I had more problems and errors with the 2016. The keys have an audible "click", but the travel is so "short" that I found myself making more errors (aside: at my age, I'm making more "errors" naturally, heh). Perhaps one might grow used to this in time, but I -definitely- preferred the 2015 keyboard to the 2016.

Other than that, the new MacBook is nice enough.
    But the old one (2015) remains a much better bargain now, as places are beginning to discount them (even though for now the 2015 MBPro remains in the "active" Apple product line).
    I see BestBuy is now selling the 2015 8gb/128gb version for $1,149. I expect it to drop by at least $50 more for Black Friday...

5. sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

Think so too and can't wait either. I am going to ditch my external keyboard setup so I'll be using the MacBook keyboard w/ Touch Bar instead. Unless they bring out a Magic Keyboard with Touch Bar? For only 199$? Wait...

6. /V\acpower macrumors 6502a

I've been using this keyboard for 24h now.

I have no real experience from the original MacBook.

However, It is way better than I expected from what I heard all around the web. And more than that, after a little adaptation period, i'm actually starting to enjoy and love it. Right now, I think that if I had to choose the keyboard to go on my new Laptop, I would chose this one.

Keys feel great and snappy. Your fingers really "feel" when a key has been pressed. For me it's a very nice feeling.

Actually the best review i've seen about this new keyboard is from "The Verge" review. Basically the reviewer says he started loving the new keyboard when he stopped "evaluating it and thinking about it" and started simply "typing" and using it.

It's a different feeling that what most peoples are used to. But if you accept that, it's a great keyboard to type on.