Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d347h.1nc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2017
I have 165mm wrists so fairly small for a guy, tried on the 38mm which they only had in rose gold for fitting :p, and the space grey 42mm. I like the bigger screen of the 42mm and they only had the bigger band to try on which I had to use the last hole so the band looked awkward.

38mm

tl338uu.jpg

PJMfXxJ.jpg

dKVbUiH.jpg

And here is the 42mm

NgoojZM.jpg

1qbW9iO.jpg

delquuF.jpg

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Based off your pictures, the display doesn't seem to large with the 42, which I would go with the larger battery.

d347h.1nc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2017
Thanks for the replies so far. While I love the size of the 42mm screen I can't shake for some reason that the smaller one is more proportionate to my wrist. This is turning out to be more difficult a choice than I assumed lol.

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
Thanks for the replies so far. While I love the size of the 42mm screen I can't shake for some reason that the smaller one is more proportionate to my wrist. This is turning out to be more difficult a choice than I assumed lol.

42. Better battery. Presentation of data is always better on a bigger screen.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

To me, I would just reaffirm that you're getting a stronger battery and if you decide to sell the 42 mm in the future, you would have some more initial resale value, pending the condition.

d347h.1nc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2017
Okay, tempted to just order the 42 and if I find it too big I can just return it to apple within the 14 day return window. That will give me a bit to actually use it day to day and if I find it cumbersome I will get the smaller watch.

My main issue now is looking at bands, they typically start at around 150mm and with me having a 165mm wrist there is going to be a lot of excess and they won't look right.

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Looking at the pictures posted and from a personal perspective I would say the 38mm looks better on your wrist. I've got a 6 1/2" wrist an I bought a 38mm as the 42mm was nearly the width of my wrist. It just didn't look very elegant or in proportion.

If you like a bigger watch then grab the 42mm.

Here's mine:
43aab679e14ecf5c72e09b46a093161a.jpg

d347h.1nc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2017
Looking at the pictures posted and from a personal perspective I would say the 38mm looks better on your wrist. I've got a 6 1/2" wrist an I bought a 38mm as the 42mm was nearly the width of my wrist. It just didn't look very elegant or in proportion.

If you like a bigger watch then grab the 42mm.

Here's mine:
43aab679e14ecf5c72e09b46a093161a.jpg

yeah that doesn't look bad. I feel if I get the 42 that bands wont show on my wrist at all really and it will just be pretty much watch face which will look awkward. Seems like they will just kind of start at the end of my wrist and go strait down. Also as I posted earlier, the 42mm bands more often than not start at 150mm leaving only +15mm for my wrist for wearing them and might look awkward and stupid.

Do you have one that is looking down at the watch and slightly far away? Just for perspectives sake?

Last edited:
Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Fynd

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
If you care about appearance, the 38 is much nicer on you. If you care about display size and battery, then the 42 is a no brainer. Most of these threads with your wrist size can be answered that way, IMO. I have a 190mm wrist and would much rather the 38, but only the sport band would actually fit me.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Before getting mine I matched the size of the Apple watch to a normal face size watch. I paired mine Apple watch to a Fossil watch. The size was very close to the 42. So I went with the 42mm. Over time the band fits even better. And the plus side is that you can see everything better.

Go with the 42.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
You can try it on again and put the 38mm straps in the 42mm AW. They'll be a bit narrow for the slot, but the thickness is the same and it'll fit safely. You'll get a better idea of how the 42mm will fit with a shorter band length.

IMO anyway: Do the 38. It fits better (the band curves down from the case awkwardly on the 42), and would be more comfortable. I don't think you'll experience any days where you run out of battery too early, either, since most of us end a typical day with anywhere between 30%-50% battery remaining.

I've been through the bulky watch phase myself. My largest regular watch is a 43mm diameter Citizen (maybe 48mm lug-to-lug?), but I prefer my smaller 38mm Rado (42mm lug-to-lug is my guess).

Reactions: d347h.1nc

d347h.1nc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2017
You can try it on again and put the 38mm straps in the 42mm AW. They'll be a bit narrow for the slot, but the thickness is the same and it'll fit safely. You'll get a better idea of how the 42mm will fit with a shorter band length.

IMO anyway: Do the 38. It fits better (the band curves down from the case awkwardly on the 42), and would be more comfortable. I don't think you'll experience any days where you run out of battery too early, either, since most of us end a typical day with anywhere between 30%-50% battery remaining.

I've been through the bulky watch phase myself. My largest regular watch is a 43mm diameter Citizen (maybe 48mm lug-to-lug?), but I prefer my smaller 38mm Rado (42mm lug-to-lug is my guess).

I ordered a 38mm space grey with sports band. It should be here Thursday and I will be going to the apple store on Sunday. I figure I'll try the smaller one for a few days and see how it goes, if it seems to small I will be trying out a few 42's with different bands so I will have a good idea of what looks best. My wife thinks the bigger one looks like I'm wearing some sci-fi thing on my wrist so that kind of persuaded me lol. But I figure there is a two week return policy so either way I will end up with the one I am happiest with.

I also tried on a friends 38mm with the classic buckle. The lugs on it add more height to the watch than I thought as well so that plays a factor since I want several bands that have protruding bits. Also I don't want so much extra band that they are practically coming up and touching the watch. That looks terrible to me.

Last edited:

d347h.1nc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2017
Glad you made a choice. Not so sure we helped.

Actually it was helpful :)

A few of the pictures of the 38 from The-Real-Deal82 along with ancedotes and comments about the 38mm looking better helped sway my opinion a bit. It kind of reinforced that while screen real estate would be nice comfort and fit is equally important along with appearance.

Also I measured my wrist more accurately and it's closer to 158-160mm so that didn't hurt either lol.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Actually it was helpful :)

A few of the pictures of the 38 from The-Real-Deal82 along with ancedotes and comments about the 38mm looking better helped sway my opinion a bit. It kind of reinforced that while screen real estate would be nice comfort and fit is equally important along with appearance.

Also I measured my wrist more accurately and it's closer to 158-160mm so that didn't hurt either lol.

Glad it helped but Asking perfect strangers to help you to decide . . . . shows we are all different.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I for one think you made the right call with the 38. On your wrist, it looks like a watch rather than a gadget, which I think is what your wife was saying. Plus, if you have doubts after a week in and decide to trade it in for the larger one (unlikely), you won't have to experience losing screen size.

Note that I have the 42, so my thoughts are based only on the pics you provided.

d347h.1nc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2017
I for one think you made the right call with the 38. On your wrist, it looks like a watch rather than a gadget, which I think is what your wife was saying. Plus, if you have doubts after a week in and decide to trade it in for the larger one (unlikely), you won't have to experience losing screen size.

Note that I have the 42, so my thoughts are based only on the pics you provided.

I think I did as well! A few days actually wearing the thing will give me a better idea. Trying them each on for a few minutes was not exactly ideal, especially with only the sports band as a try on option. I need to go to the apple store next week anyway regarding my phone so I can try on a few there with different combinations to kind of seal the deal. Though I expect I will be fine with the smaller watch but you never know. They do seem to be different in pictures vs reality by a lot in some cases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.