Tried to do something stupid, now i have 5 partitions, help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by likemyorbs, Nov 17, 2008.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

ok, so stupid me tried to create a linux partition and install the new version f ubuntu just to test it, for some reason it didnt install right. after the failed installation i couldnt boot osx, but then after running "startup disk" from the mac installation disk i was able to start os x and was thankful my stuff wasnt deleted. anyway, now i have these 3 extra partitions, 1 of them i made and the other 2 the linux installation made. i cant get rid of those partitions! when i boot disk utility it says removing volume but it just doesnt do it and stays at that message. what can i possible do to get rid of these unwanted partition that are taking up 15GB?

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

What about booting up from your installation / restore disc - and then trying to modify your partition map from there?

3. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

4. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Can you re-format the existing partitions - then erase or re-size once HFS?

Or are they completely locked out?

5. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

i can reformat them, theyre not locked, it looks like it starts to erase them and just never does

6. ptsube macrumors 6502

You can try using Boot Camp. Have it resize your partitions as though you are going to install Windows. Then after partitioning, have it recover the space.

Hopefully this works for you.

7. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

i already have a windows partition with vista, and bootcamp wont work, it gives me a message thats caused by all those partitions.