Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radmonkeyx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2009
DFW-TX
Sorry, I did a search but did not find what I was looking. Dont flame me to much if I missed it, sorry.

I bought the 2g the day it came out. I bought the 3g the day it came out. Apple said I was not elligable for 3gs 16g $199 price until March. I have not purchased any other phones since. Did I lose my upgrade when I bought the 3g? I thought they did not take the upgrade from you when you got the 3g. Did I miss something. Was going to call ATT but thought I would see if anyone else was in my boat. Thanks for any help

williamgallas10

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2009
You signed a 2yr contract when you bought the iPhone 3g at the discount price. It's only been one year so far. When your contract is up, or even earlier you can get the 3gs at discount price.

SeanMcC

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
Minneapolis
You should call AT&T and find out what's up. My situation is almost identical to yours, but I was eligible to upgrade.

Have family plan, about $200/month bill.

Got iPhone 2G a few months after it came out.
Got iPhone 3G on launch day.
Got iPhone 3G S on launch day for $199/$299 pricing.

encircle

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2009
I'm confused. You cannot upgrade on a family talk plan to the 3GS unless my line is $99 a month? This might be why apple canceled my order!

sgrizzle

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
I'm confused. You cannot upgrade on a family talk plan to the 3GS unless my line is $99 a month? This might be why apple canceled my order!

Upgrade date is prorated based on how much you spend per line. If you spend $99/mo or more you can upgrade after a year. For instance, my wife and I are on a shared plan and I was able to upgrade last week, but her line (secondary) isnt upgradeable until March.

encircle

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2009
Upgrade date is prorated based on how much you spend per line. If you spend $99/mo or more you can upgrade after a year. For instance, my wife and I are on a shared plan and I was able to upgrade last week, but her line (secondary) isnt upgradeable until March.

But this doesn't apply to lines that are already eligible for an upgrade, right? You don't have to be eligible and spend $99 a month do you?

BLACK MAC

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007

This is exactly what is happening with me. I could upgrade, but not her. So I just bought her the phone anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.