Tried to install RAM - Something went wrong

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Miriel, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Miriel macrumors newbie

Alright, so I always understood ram installation on macs to be fairly simple and straightforward.

I read up on the instructions, watched the youtube videos, and made sure to get recommendations on what kind of ram to get (crucial 2gb).

I took out the original ram that came with the macbook pro and put in the new ram. I screwed everything back in and then attempted to turn on the laptop. I heard the usual startup sounds but the monitor screen was empty and black and remained that way. I waited awhile (10 minutes or so) to see if anything would change, and nothing happened.

I went back and took out the new ram, and put in the old one and tried to restart, and again, nothing but black screen.

I tried taking out the old ram and putting it into a different slot and then the same thing for the new ram. Nothing.

I'm trying really hard not to freak out (I have a lot of my stuff backed up on an external) but seriously, I have no idea what I did wrong and what's wrong with my macbook pro... and yeah. I am freaking out.

Help?

Edit: Edit to add that I am no longer under Apple warranty and the last time I had to deal with the people at the Genius Bar, I wanted to kill myself. Or kill them. If this is something I can't fix myself, could I also get some possible recommendations for people who fix these sorts of problems aside from the people at Apple?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The most common reason for this is not getting the RAM contacts seated into the socket properly.

Take the RAM out.

Now, insert the edge of the RAM at a 45 degree angle.
    You need now to use both thumbs on the long edge to push the RAM into the socket while it is still up on the 45 degree angle, before laying it flat down into the clips.

When you lay it flat, you should see non or very little of the gold contacts remaining visible - like 1/16th inch or less. If you see more than that, or if the edges of the contacts are not evenly straight with the socket edge, then take it out an try again.

(you CANNOT push the contacts in properly when the RAM is in the flat position. The clips that click the RAM in place are not an indication that it is seated correctly)

Good luck

3. Miriel thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been at this for 2 hours. I'm pretty sure that the ram is seated properly unless I'm completely incompetent. :(

If this is an issue with the ram alone, and not some other problem I may have triggered, does that mean that the harddrive is ok?

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Not enough information to guess if it is some other problem, only that a symptom of improperly seated RAM is a blank screen on boot.

The other thing to do is to carefully check all other cables and connections to see if you haven't dislodged a cable somewhere.

Then try booting with the OSX DVD in the optical drive,, and holding down the "C" key to see if it will boot from the DVD.

Question: Did you remove the battery before installing the RAM?

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Did you discharge your static electricity and were you "grounded" when you installed?

Always heard that was a a big deal :eek:

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Were you grounded when you changed the RAM? If you have any static electricity while handling it you can fry it. You don't even need enough static to feel it to ruin RAM.

7. greenythebeast macrumors regular

How could you install the RAM without taking out the battery?

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Depends on the model of machine - some machines have a memory hatch door that doesn't require taking out the battery. Just one thing to confirm.

9. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    I don't believe anything is wrong, I just think the RAM isn't pushed in all the way, it does take some effort to do this, took me 3 times to do mine. Everything will assemble fine EVEN IF the RAM isn't seated properly. I finally got it by holding the back end of the MB with one hand, and using my thumb push in on the center of the ram stick with some force til it pop'd in
    Hope I helped, once done check the RAM in i-Stat and see if the quantity you installed is available, if it is it is properly seated:cool:
    i-stat is a widget, it totally rocks

10. ManWithhat macrumors regular

If none of this helps, take some pictures. Pictures always help.

11. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Likely Seating Issue...

I think this IS MOST LIKELY... I too felt I was almost going to BREAK something when I Installed my RAM sticks... Takes More Pressure than perhaps you think to seat properly... I hope!!

12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

CheffyDave, bobcan: It's a MacBook Pro -- the RAM goes in differently than it does in the MacBook and the iMac -- angled, not straight -- it doesn't take the same kind of pressure.

13. kalimba macrumors regular

I just upgraded the RAM in my MBP and I was surprised how much force was needed to snap the memory module into place. It wasn't so much force that I thought I was doing any damage to the the RAM slot, but it didn't just smoothly slide into place.

You don't need a jackhammer, but a good/fair amount of force needs to be applied, and you should hear and/or feel a "snap" when the RAM module reaches proper position and alignment.

Hope everything is OK with the OP's notebook.

14. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

You may want to reset the pram.

Try this first with the old ram, since you know it is good. Make sure it is pushed in all the way.

To reset your pram. Turn off your computer then turn it back on, while holding down the Command-Option-P-R keys all at the same time. Don't let go until you have heard the start up sound cycle on and off at-least 2 times.
    good luck.

Apple guide reseting pram
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379