Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

audiar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
So i tried to jailbreak my ipod touch (1G) last night, the thought of free stuff got the best of me. i used QuickPWN (Link) to do this. then i decided that i wanted to reset the ipod to unjailbrek it, not thinking that a restore probably would have been more prudent of an approach.

now when i turn the device on, the silver apple appears and thats all i see. i let this sit for a while thinking it cant stay forever but it goes until the device runs out of juice. i tried to recharge it but it still does the same. i thought trying a restore would help but the device isn't recognized by itunes when i plug it in.

Thoughts on how to fix this?

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
You bricked it. Your iPod is dead. And no Apple will not replace it because you decided to jailbreak and it got screwed up. Hope you learned your lesson.

Don

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
You bricked it. Your iPod is dead. And no Apple will not replace it because you decided to jailbreak and it got screwed up. Hope you learned your lesson.

Don

If it's bricked it wouldn't even turn on -it refers to something that is in a permanent unresponsive state (like a brick, basically), which it clearly isn't if the screen is active, even if it is displaying only a single image.

Dmac77 said:
Did you not read his entire post?

It's happened to other people before, and a DFU restore has usually worked.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
If it's bricked it wouldn't even turn on -it refers to something that is in a permanent unresponsive state (like a brick, basically), which it clearly isn't if the screen is active, even if it is displaying only a single image.

Well being that iTunes doesn't recognize it, and it will only boot to the Apple logo means it's bricked IMO. It's unable to be restored, so the OP has a ipod that displays a logo. That to me is a bricked iPod.

Don

audiar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2009

It's happened to other people before, and a DFU restore has usually worked.

remind me how to do this DFU restore

tadad1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2008
Interesting how just having an avatar of Dr. House can turn someone into a know-it-all ass.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
remind me how to do this DFU restore

Hold down the sleep + home buttons until the screen turns black, then let go of the sleep button and continue pressing the home button for a further 10 seconds.

Are you using Windows or a Mac? If you are using any version of Windows or any Mac OS that is NOT 10.5.6 you should be fine. I ask this because Apple has, for some reason, stopped 10.5.6 from recognising devices in DFU mode and you have to downgrade back to the 10.5.5 USB drivers.

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
Are you using Windows or a Mac? If you are using any version of Windows or any Mac OS that is NOT 10.5.6 you should be fine. I ask this because Apple has, for some reason, stopped 10.5.6 from recognising devices in DFU mode and you have to downgrade back to the 10.5.5 USB drivers.

Silly question. Do you know if it is possible to mount the ipod in DFU mode under Windows XP running in vmware under 10.5.6? :confused:

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Silly question. Do you know if it is possible to mount the ipod in DFU mode under Windows XP running in vmware under 10.5.6? :confused:

Yes. It is possible. But what I'm saying is that 10.5.6 does not natively recognise iPods in DFU mode. You have to install the 10.5.5 drivers or use Boot Camp or a virtual machine, and thus use Windows, to then jailbreak

audiar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
Fixed it.

Retried everything using another comp and had someone else try a DFU restore and it worked.

Not bricked. Dr. House, you were wrong. Eat that.;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.