Tried to jailbreak iTouch, then tried to reset it; now all i get is the apple!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by audiar, Apr 28, 2009.

1. audiar macrumors newbie

So i tried to jailbreak my ipod touch (1G) last night, the thought of free stuff got the best of me. i used QuickPWN (Link) to do this. then i decided that i wanted to reset the ipod to unjailbrek it, not thinking that a restore probably would have been more prudent of an approach.

now when i turn the device on, the silver apple appears and thats all i see. i let this sit for a while thinking it cant stay forever but it goes until the device runs out of juice. i tried to recharge it but it still does the same. i thought trying a restore would help but the device isn't recognized by itunes when i plug it in.

Thoughts on how to fix this?

2. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

You bricked it. Your iPod is dead. And no Apple will not replace it because you decided to jailbreak and it got screwed up. Hope you learned your lesson.

Don

3. slieu92 macrumors regular

you didn't brick it. and there's no lesson to be learnt. just restore from itunes. and try again.

4. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Did you not read his entire post?

He bricked it.

Don

5. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

If it's bricked it wouldn't even turn on -it refers to something that is in a permanent unresponsive state (like a brick, basically), which it clearly isn't if the screen is active, even if it is displaying only a single image.

It's happened to other people before, and a DFU restore has usually worked.

6. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Well being that iTunes doesn't recognize it, and it will only boot to the Apple logo means it's bricked IMO. It's unable to be restored, so the OP has a ipod that displays a logo. That to me is a bricked iPod.

Don

7. audiar thread starter macrumors newbie

remind me how to do this DFU restore

8. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

Interesting how just having an avatar of Dr. House can turn someone into a know-it-all ass.

9. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Hold down the sleep + home buttons until the screen turns black, then let go of the sleep button and continue pressing the home button for a further 10 seconds.

Are you using Windows or a Mac? If you are using any version of Windows or any Mac OS that is NOT 10.5.6 you should be fine. I ask this because Apple has, for some reason, stopped 10.5.6 from recognising devices in DFU mode and you have to downgrade back to the 10.5.5 USB drivers.

10. slieu92 macrumors regular

couldn't agree more.
    :p he got timed out

11. mayuka macrumors 6502a

mayuka

Silly question. Do you know if it is possible to mount the ipod in DFU mode under Windows XP running in vmware under 10.5.6? :confused:

12. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Yes. It is possible. But what I'm saying is that 10.5.6 does not natively recognise iPods in DFU mode. You have to install the 10.5.5 drivers or use Boot Camp or a virtual machine, and thus use Windows, to then jailbreak

13. audiar thread starter macrumors newbie

Fixed it.

Retried everything using another comp and had someone else try a DFU restore and it worked.

Not bricked. Dr. House, you were wrong. Eat that.;)