Tried to jailbreak using Pwnage, during process iPhone died.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ace of nothing, Mar 27, 2009.

1. ace of nothing macrumors newbie

I was at the point in Pwnage where you hold down the power and home button and then then just the home button and the process failed.

It said to try it again but at this point my iPhone was off and now I can't turn it back on.

I tried repeating the process (building the files, etc) but nothing happens. Is this what it means to "Brick" the phone?

Am I screwed? Can the Apple store help or am I on my own since I was trying to jailbreak?

When I try to turn on the phone NOTHING happens, no power on, nothing on the screen, nothing at all. When I connect to the computer, nothing at all. No charging battery logo, iTunes doesn't start, nothing.

2. zunairryk macrumors regular

have u tried holding power + home buttons at same time for like 10 sec?

3. ace of nothing thread starter macrumors newbie

Chalk that one up to me being an idiot...

But now I have followed the instructions perfectly and I get a "Error 21" message. I have googled it and see I am not the only one having this problem, however no where in my searching did I find a solution. A few people mention that the new macbook pros (which I am using) don't let you jailbreak.

Could that be causing Error 21?

4. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Isn't it 7 seconds?

By the way, that non-responsiveness is called DFU mode. It's needed to Jailbreak the iPhone. If you get an error you keep shift/atl clicking 'Restore' until it works.

5. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Yes that is causing the problem because OSX 10.5.6 won't recognize the iPhone in DFU mode unless you use a powered USB hub.

6. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Powered USB hub? are you sure as just the cable works fine :)

7. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Yeah, if you're on 10.5.6 you may need to use a powered USB hub, or replace some files on your Mac to get DFU mode working.

Fixing DFU mode on 10.5.6

As noted previously OS X 10.5.6 introduced a bug that affected the use of DFU mode. with some Macs. There have been previously published hacks and techniques to fix this, but here is another method that can be used to temporarily restore DFU functionality in order to use QuickPwn or PwnageTool.

-iPhone Dev Team.