tried to turn old iPhone 1st Gen into iPod touch, reset and now useless

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rawdawg, Apr 18, 2013.

1. rawdawg macrumors 6502

I wanted to use my 1st Gen iPhone as a sound machine for my baby but was frustrated the Wifi wasn't holding a signal long enough and then stopped working all together. I tried resetting the network connections, restarting, and force restart the iPhone (hold home and top button until quit) a dozen which ways and couldn't get the Wifi working.

I did a full reset thinking I could recover somehow from iTunes. I got the welcome screen and was very upset to see iTunes won't let me get it up and running. It says it can't activate it.

Is there anyway I can get this up to iPod touch ability? Really pisses me off Apple wouldn't grandfather in this ability considering it's a more expensive version of one.

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

you should be able to activate through itunes if wifi isnt working

3. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

4. rawdawg thread starter macrumors 6502

No error code, a screen simply pops up that says

"We're sorry, we are unable to continue with your activation at this time."

:mad:

5. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

It's probably because the SIM card is inactive and it can't connect to servers while trying to use cell signal. Make sure wifi is on or if it prompts you, try to activate through iTunes.

6. rawdawg thread starter macrumors 6502

There is no SIM card and there won't be one because it takes the only 1st Gen giant version.

Can't tell if Wifi is on but I presume it is. The reason being is I can't get past the intro screen asking me to connect to iTunes for activation.

Called Apple and there is no way around this. The phone is useless unless I want to activate it under someone's cell phone account, which I will never do.

Thanks for everyone who tried to help though! Guess I'll just have to buy another or something.

7. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

Well I've always been able to do it over wifi or iTunes. Don't know why this is giving you a tough time.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I don't think you can activate an iPhone 2G anymore at all. Apple/AT&T/O2 no longer have the activation servers running for them. I suggest using PwnageTool or redsn0w to hacktivate it.

9. Mrbobb macrumors 601

U can attempt to purchase a $25 PayGo SIM from AT&T. No guarantee.