Tried to update iphone4 to 7.1.2, help!

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by kate!, Jul 17, 2014.

1. kate! macrumors newbie

Hi,

First of all, new here and desperate so if I've put this question in the wrong place, I apologize.

iPhone 4, did a manual backup on iTunes, started the update process...and it froze. Read somewhere to do a hard reset and that may fix it. Got the "connect to iTunes" symbol on the phone. Wanted to restore from my back up, but it says I've never backed it up! It does seem like in the update process it maybe started to overwrite my backup? But I'm not a genius with this stuff. In any case, the files are right there under mobile sync/ backup.

Any reason why it can't find them? Anything else I can use? Anything obvious I'm overlooking? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Did you actually finish the installation process and you are just on the part about setting up the phone as new or putting a backup onto it?

3. kate! thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, finished the installation process. Didn't set it up as a new phone, used the only backup I could, which was an iCloud backup from my iPad. So, not ideal, since they have different stuff on them, but I figured whatever, just get the phone working, and then I could figure out how to restore it from the backup I know I made right before I started this whole thing. And now I'm at the point where I can't seem to do that, it says I never backed it up. It said that before I went with the iCloud thing, but I was hoping there was someway to relocate it, or get iTunes to find it again, or whatever it is that needs to happen. Not sure what to do next.

Thanks