Tried to update jailbroken iphone. BAD IDEA. HELP!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hvcannon, Feb 15, 2010.

1. hvcannon macrumors newbie

Hey Guys!

I have a jailbroken iphone 3G that was working perfectly fine under the jailbreak "blackra1n." I never had any problem out of it until I tried to update my phone using iTunes. Terrible Idea.

On iTunes, I have a screen that says I don't the correct sim card.

On my iPhone, it says to connect to iTunes, and a slide bar for emergency calls only.

I cant do anything with my phone manually or through iTunes. I ran blackra1n again and it temporarily let me restore through iTunes. I did so, and then tried to run blackra1n again.

Nothing is working. I'm stressed :( I miss my phone! I am using an ancient one that I am surprised even texts.

Thanks so much!

2. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

You are screwed!! The only thing you can do is take it back to apple and tell them its messing up, and hopefully they'll give you a refurbished one on 3.1.2. Thats your only option, because the dev-team isn't going to release a JB for 3.1.3.

3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

What carrier are you on? Were you running the phone unlocked or just jailbroken?

4. GlassBullet macrumors regular

GlassBullet

You said that using blackra1n it let you restore it. Did you try restoring it and not running blackra1n again?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Rule number 1
    you never try to update a hacked iPhone to official firmware.
    It won't turn out good and chances are it will lock up.
    You will lose your jb and unlock.

6. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

what are you talking about? all he needs to do, is download the 3.1.2 3g firmware file somewhere on the internet, go into itunes, if he has a mac, hold option + click restore, or if he has a pc, hold shift + click restore. he can then jailbreak with blackra1n, but if he was dependent on an unlock...then he's screwed and should A. move onto a different phone. B. switch to at&t. C. get a prepaid at&t plan. or D. sell the phone on ebay, and buy a factory unlocked iphone. also i should mention that boot neuter now works with iphone 3G's with the 5.08 bootloader....pretty much the 3G's that were released in the first few weeks of its release. about 10% of 3G's boot neuter can work on.

7. hvcannon thread starter macrumors newbie

ok so I am on T-mobile. I am a girl lol and know nothing about iPhones. I got it already jailbroken and unlocked with blackra1n, snow, rock... and maybe another. I am a bit familiar with the firmwares and jailbreaks and somewhat how to do them. I have a few downloaded to my desktop. I had no clue I couldn't update my phone. Guess I learned the hard way.

So... with that said.. What exactly do I need to do? And kinda specifically if you don't mind... I really appreciate all of you helping!! Do I need to have my T-Mobile sim card? My roommate has an ATT sim card, can I use hers? Do I leave it empty... blah blah blah...

Again, Thanks so much! I have been stressing so bad over this!!

Oh, I have a PC and I am ASSUMING I have or HAD an unlock because I used it on TMobile network for about a month with no problems until I got dumb and tried to update it on iTunes.

8. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

No sympathy. You chose to jailbreak it so now you have the concequences.

9. jackryan57 macrumors regular

It wasn't the jailbreak that did that to her phone, it was her updating the firmware.

10. hvcannon thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not concerned with your lack of sympathy to be honest. I know NOTHING about iphones. I am just asking for a bit of help, no sympathy needed. I am a big girl and don't take your petty lack of respect to heart.

For everyone else, Thanks again. I never expected to get this much info out of a forum!

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's not reversible. What you got now is an iPhone that you can use an iPod touch or only with an AT&T simcard.
    An unlock maybe found down the road. It might take months, who knows.

12. hvcannon thread starter macrumors newbie

is it possible to downgrade to a lower firmware if i have it available? i don't have to have the newest. it wasn't that important lol

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you can downgrade to earlier firmware on an iphone 3G so you can jailbreak it. But you cannot unlock it any more since the baseband got updated and that is not reversible. You cannot use a non-AT&T simcard with it any more.

14. hvcannon thread starter macrumors newbie

ohhhh ok. I got you.... thanks guys for your help!!

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You're welcome.
    Sorry for bringing out the bad news but hopefully soon we might see some progress in unlocking again.
    Im sure next time you wont fall for it that easy :)

16. hvcannon thread starter macrumors newbie

i am just going to try and sell it on ebay and with that money, i will cancel my tmobile contract and move to ATT and do it all legally this time lol. It is such a good phone, I hate to see it go :(

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you. You can also enjoy the 3G speeds.