Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Title says it all. Tried updating to public beta 4 through the App Store and the progress bar disappeared and was replaced by the image below. Should I wait it out or should I restart my computer? Or will I have to restore everything from a backup?

image.jpeg

busflier

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2015
I had the exact same thing yesterday and I fixed it by deleting/uninstalling Vbox in safe mode. Thanks Teddat!

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
It happened while it was installing. Now it won't let me startup or enter recovery mode. Running a diagnostic test now. I would make a bootable USB but I don't have a functional computer to do that on.

busflier

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2015
Just restart while holding down the shift key and it will boot into safe mode. From there you can uninstall Vbox and restart normal...I had the exact same thing and it got fixed...

MyRomeo

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Hey, so I appear to have the same problem with my 2011 MacBook Pro.

Silly question, how do I go about uninstalling virtual box? What is it?!

Raka74

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2015
Looks like my MBP has the same problem - after finding this thread I'm trying to start in safe mode but I have been looking at a black screen for 5 minutes now after the progress bar disappeared.

Also if/when I manage to startup in safe mode - how do I remove that Virtual Box stuff?

The (my) panic screen mentions something about org.virtualbox.kext.vboxdrv like in the screenshot in the original post.

Last edited:

kcwjr

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
Santa Fe, NM
Looks like my MBP has the same problem - after finding this thread I'm trying to start in safe mode but I have been looking at a black screen for 5 minutes now after the progress bar disappeared.

Also if/when I manage to startup in safe mode - how do I remove that Virtual Box stuff?

The (my) panic screen mentions something about org.virtualbox.kext.vboxdrv like in the screenshot in the original post.

kcwjr

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
Santa Fe, NM
I had same issue with both a 27 iMac Mid 2011 and a MacBook Air 13 Early 2014. Both machines had a VirtualBox folder which I have now removed. I also updated to Beta my MacMini Server Mid2011 but looking at it now it does not have any VirtualBox folders. Going to try now to update again.

kcwjr

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
Santa Fe, NM
I had same issue with both a 27 iMac Mid 2011 and a MacBook Air 13 Early 2014. Both machines had a VirtualBox folder which I have now removed. I also updated to Beta my MacMini Server Mid2011 but looking at it now it does not have any VirtualBox folders. Going to try now to update again.
Update got the same error. Posted this bug to Apple site. CleanMyMac did not find a VirtualBox application to uninstall. Any other suggested would be greatly appreciated.

kcwjr

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
Santa Fe, NM
Update got the same error. Posted this bug to Apple site. CleanMyMac did not find a VirtualBox application to uninstall. Any other suggested would be greatly appreciated.
I fixed it by booting into safe mode then downloading an older build of Virtualbox: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_4_3
When you open the disk, there is an uninstaller tool in the lower right corner of the box that opens. To run that tool, you may have to change your security settings to allow downloads from anywhere temporarily. Once you run the VirtualBox uninstaller you can proceed with the update. This worked for both PB4 as well as DP6. Thanks for all.

Reactions: Raka74

Raka74

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2015
I had to reset NVRAM with Command Option P + R before being able to boot in to safe mode

Then I removed all .kext files related to vbox in /System/Library/Extensions , /Library/Extensions and deleted content from the /caches directory

After this everything worked normally

Thanks all

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.