Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
and was met with a tremendous roadblock.

for those unfamiliar with hotel wifi, and public wifi in general, there is a lawyer page in between the device and the wifi.

getting onto the network is easy, then a page pops up to accept terms/whatever, then you get through.

the problem with the ATV is that it doesn't have a "display" that will allow you to accept terms.

So how do you use an ATV on that sort of wifi?

I spent an hour on the net (with my laptop) trying to find a solution but came up empty.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Ethernet (cable) connection
Spoof MAC address of ATV on computer, authenticate, revert
Call networking support, supply MAC address/IP, let them auth you
Setup computer as AP, though at that point, just connect it to the TV vs. the ATV (kind of the same goes for the 2nd option above, if you already have a computer - though you might want to use both I suppose ...)

danpass

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
Ethernet (cable) connection
Spoof MAC address of ATV on computer, authenticate, revert
Call networking support, supply MAC address/IP, let them auth you
Setup computer as AP, though at that point, just connect it to the TV vs. the ATV (kind of the same goes for the 2nd option above, if you already have a computer - though you might want to use both I suppose ...)
most results involved this (insane) solution.

one result mentioned using an Airport Express but fewer and fewer places have an option for a wired connection (to then create a local wifi hotspot)
[doublepost=1535558006][/doublepost]One interesting option the last hotel had was in-room chromecast. I was able to cast my laptop screen onto the tv and watch some Psych episodes through Amazon Prime lol

Reactions: PhoenixDown
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.