Tried upgrading and now it can't see my iphone.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by wolflore, Sep 26, 2009.

1. wolflore macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I just got an iphone 3g today. Activated it in the normal manner. Then iTunes told me there was an update which I needed to do. Clicked the button, the update started, then when I came back it said there had been an error. No all I get is the USB/iTunes logo but whenever I connect to the computer it comes up with "found new hardware - Apple mobile device, recovery mode" (this it does twice). But it doesn't find a driver. I've tried re-installing iTunes (several times) and have done several hard resets, all to no avail. Can anyone help? In the device manager I have found the iPhone in the "other devices" dropdown.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

3. wolflore thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers for that but it didn't work.

I've done the itunes bit a few times now to no avail.

I did the DFU mode thing and it went in to the restore process but told me there was an unknown error (1601).

Restarted the computer and then tried again to no avail.

Any more tips?

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You need to completely remove iTunes.

See this link and click on the appropriate link inside:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA38633?viewlocale=en_US

5. wolflore thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, tried that and it came up with the same error.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You removed apple mobile device support?

7. wolflore thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I followed the link you sent me to the letter and removed and then verified the removal of all parts.

I wasted the whole afternoon of my only day off this weekend trying to use something that should come out of the box working. Really frustrating, thanks for all of your help. I'm going to have to wait a week now with a broken iPhone before I can get back to the shop to get it looked at. I've had Macs and Apple products for years and this one is the first to get me as frustrated as a Windows user! :eek:

I guess I was just unlucky. Most people I know with the iPhone have not had any problems. Could be worse though...my head could've fallen off!

8. sysctl macrumors newbie

Hold Home & Power buttons for ~15 seconds, then release home button but continue holding power for another 2 or so.

9. wolflore thread starter macrumors newbie