Resolved trim a new rMBP SSD before use?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mlts22, Jul 6, 2015.

1. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

On some laptops, if one is reinstalling the OS, or installing for the first time, it is wise to boot up a Linux distribution and run blkdiscard on the internal SSD. This fires off a TRIM on every accessible sector of the drive, which is good in the long run.

For a new early 2015 13" rMBP, is this something that would be needed, or does the OS X TRIM support, as well as the drive controller's background GC task take care of this adequately?

2. Lauwie macrumors regular

OS X will handle this automatically if it's the factory SSD from Apple, so you don,t have to do anything.

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

TRIM is only recommended for third-party drives. The Apple SSDs are self maintaining.

4. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

No, not at all. Apple SSDs use TRIM.

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I'm aware. The OP is referring to enabling it or not.

6. Lauwie macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure if Apple didn't enable TRIM on some of they're own SSDs it's probably to avoid data loss.
    TRIM does have issues with data loss with some SSDs

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

TRIM is enabled on all apple SSD's.

8. Lauwie macrumors regular

Also on the one's fitted on 2010 Mac Pro ?

9. mlts22 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I should have been clearer. For a new rMBP, would it be beneficial to boot OS media like a Linux CD, TRIM the onboard SSD completely (which in effect blanks the entire thing including the recovery partition), then reinstall the OS and entire recovery?

10. Weaselboy, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2015

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No. I understand where you are coming from, but with a new drive like this, I don't see how it would be of any benefit. What you are describing may be of some benefit on and older drive that had written to quite a bit without TRIM active though.

11. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

If it came with it then yes, as far as I know, if it was added later then no...

12. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

No it's a new rMBP the SSD has just had the OS added and thats it, there is nothing to clean up.

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

There is absolutely nothing to be gained by doing this, and you'll needlessly rack up some P/E cycles doing this.

Being that it's the factory-supplied SSD we're talking about here, all you should really do is let the OS do its job and stop worrying about it.

14. mlts22 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you. I always have a habit of wiping drives thoroughly (and doing a blkdiscard on the entire SSD) before use. Looks like this isn't needed with this type of machine.