TRIM and PERMANENT DAMAGE

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by sharon22, Nov 11, 2014.

1. sharon22 macrumors regular

I have a TRIM question, wondering if there's permanent damage to the SSD by not running TRIM for a long time. Consider this scenario:

User 1:
    Has an Apple SSD with TRIM automatically enabled by the OS with TRIM running as it's supposed to.

User 2:
    Has non-apple SSD, without TRIM enabled and uses the SSD for a whole year without TRIM. Then, after a year decides to run TRIM (either using a TRIM app, or, that console hack)

Once User 2 has run TRIM (even though they've used their SSD for a whole year without TRIM), will their SSD be "as good as new?" Or, at least as good as the SSD where TRIM has been run continuously?

Thank you.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

My guess is that over time the blocks will become TRIMmed as they're used. Remember that TRIM is essentially just a "delete" command; you're not damaging the drive by filling it with unused data, you're just adding an extra "cycle" for subsequent writes. Once the OS is sending TRIM commands, it'll gradually clean itself up.

Another option is to start from scratch and use a tool to TRIM the whole drive.

3. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

Reset (format or so) the SSD to factory default?

I would like to add my (noob) question. When using Trim enabled (or not) is there a way to reset (format) the SSD to factory default, so it becomes "brand new" again and then restore a backup or clone?

4. sharon22 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for responding. I have been looking forward to getting a new SSD drive, and the "experimenter" in me wanted to see how long I could use it (without TRIM enabled) before it started to slow down. But, at the same time, I didn't want to be damaging my drive just for the sake of experiment.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

There might be a tool available from the drive manufacturer. I have an OCZ drive and there's a tool available which appears to wipe/TRIM the entire drive at once (although I haven't tried it).

6. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

Thanks, I do a search and rescue then! ;) Google is my friend! :D