TRIM and SSD type (intel brand) question.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mobius 1, May 16, 2011.

1. Mobius 1 macrumors 6502

Which is better in a way of compatibility?

What is TRIM and what's its use? Does it increase performance of mac?

i have a TRIM patcher btw

mb alu 2008 base. 160GB 5400 standard hdd. 8GB corsair 1067MHz.

2. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Basically without TRIM over a period of time a SSD becomes soo slow it is unusable (TRIM removes garbage, lots of garbage = slow). That is unless the SSD has inbuilt garbage collection. Currently the future of TRIM in MBPs is a will happen but not until Lion but even then what SSDs? If you are looking to get a SSD, just get a Vertex 3 or OWC 6G SSD.
    You won't regret it.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Here is a Wiki article that explains TRIM.

All newer SSDs have firmware that performs "garbage collection" in the firmware, so TRIM is not the issue in OS X it once was.

Even with no TRIM, all that happens is once all the cells in the SSD have been written to (this can take a long time depending on your usage) the write speed only will slow somewhat.

You mention the TRIM hack. If you read over the thread here on the issue, it does seem to cause compatibility issues for some SSDs.

You brought up Intel drives. They have proven to be one of the most reliable brands. The new Intel 320 SSD has been popular among forum users and would be a good option for you.

The OP has a 2008 Macbook with only a SATA II drive interface. There is no reason for him to spend the extra money for the SATA III interface drives you recommended.

4. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Trim enabled

I have a Samsung 470 SSD in my MBP 13 2011. I installed the Trim patch which enabled Trim. Everything seems to be working perfectly. Never a beachball.

5. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Oh, heh OPs post didn't make it obvious enough for my sometimes lacking brain power! :(
    In that case a OWC 3G SSD would do fine.

6. Mobius 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm kind of scared for the OWC/OCZ brands. Because I have seen many problems.

I will look for Intel SSD tomorrow from my favorite computer part seller.

I also read that Intel has some kind of free program for their SSD, cleanup etc. is that true?

7. Mobius 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Intel has a package called SSD Toolbox, but it is a Windows program. They do have a CDRom ISO you can use to install SSD firmware updates on a Mac though.