Trim Enabled... but how do I ACTUALLY Trim?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by jambottoms, Jul 23, 2011.

1. jambottoms macrumors newbie

This may be a silly question, in which case I apologize beforehand.

I've checked, and Trim is enabled for my SSD (came with the laptop, a May 2010 MBP).

The question is, do I actually need to perform a "trim", or does the OS X Lion actively trim the drive? I assumed I had to use Disk Utility, and click "erase free space", but that option isn't active. I'm a bit confused.

Thanks in advance.

2. Tearabite macrumors regular

Tearabite

It's automagic... Stop thinking about your computer and get back to USING it! :rolleyes:

3. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Glad I saw this thread... I checked and my Mac hasn't enabled TRIM. How do I get it to support TRIM? My OCZ Vertex 2 does support TRIM.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

TRIM is only enabled on Apple SSDs. I don't think there is any way to enable it on non-Apple SSDs.

5. singhjeet29 macrumors regular

Link to Enable Trim on Non-Apple SSD's (at your own risk ... :p )

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It should be noted that the link above is for Snow Leopard. Snow Leopard and Lion have different requirements for TRIM. It may make Lion unbootable.

7. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

No Trim support for my 2010 MacBook Pro. I have a OCZ SSD and Trim is NOT on in Lion.

8. singhjeet29 macrumors regular

It still seems to work okay

9. Sensamic macrumors 68030

I thought I read not too long ago on macrumors news that Lion does enable TRIM for SSDs of other manufacturers. Its not only for Apple SSDs. 10.6.8 enabled TRIM for apple SSDs and Lion for all SSDs that support it.

Windows 7 supports TRIM for all SSDs, so Lion must be no less.

10. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

No, Lion does not support TRIM on drives other then Apple Branded drives. There is a third party tweak you can do but it's at your own risk.

Hugh

11. Ivangf2 macrumors member

Ivangf2

Seriously guys, do you know if we have to click on erase free space in order TRIM works? Or does it automatically?

:apple:

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It is done automatically in the background. No user action is required.

13. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I have an Intel X25-M G2 SSD and trim enabler doesn't work for me. I remember reading mixed answers about Intel SSDs supporting trim or not so I'm curious if anybody with an Intel SSD has been able to get it to work.

14. BiggAW macrumors 68020

WOW, that is absurd. Especially considering Apple doesn't even make SSDs, they just take somone else's buy it on a bulk contract and add a little :apple: to the logo.

15. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

I should mention that they also happened to have taken one of the slowest SSDs on the market and make it their own.

16. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Windows 7 supports .exe, so Lion must be no less.
    Windows 7 supports any Intel computer you buy, so Lion must be no less.
    Windows 7 supports a huge number of viruses, so Lion must be no less.

Windows 7 isn't Lion. Just because W7 does it, doesn't mean Lion does. What kind of logic is that?

17. ern macrumors newbie

Intel X25-M G2 SSD + trim enabler works for me. Lion, MB 466, X25-M G2 160G + 80G

18. Vapor matt macrumors regular

If you have a SSD with the sand force controller you don't need trim as they have GC built in (garbage collection) and in mac OS X Trim + GC can cause hangs and beach balls ect.

windows GC + Trim ok

Mac OS X GC + Trim = hangs and beach balls!

Check what SSD you have and which controller it has before you enable trim support for it.

19. makinao macrumors regular

The same logic that says a Toyota Corolla is not a RedBull RB7 Forumula 1 car. In many ways, they can both get you from point A to point B. But there is a world of difference in the way they get you there.

20. hekokimushi macrumors regular

hekokimushi

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

my OCZ V2 seems to work like a charm with Lion with trim on fw 1.32.

2 gearspins for boot. first available opportunity to read system is up for 14 secs on my MB5,1 no beachballs. very very snappy

21. MikhailT macrumors 601

Not really absurd at all, it’s the only way Apple can be 100% assured that TRIM works on all of the SSDs without paying more for support costs and validations.

TRIM isn’t something that’s automatically stable on Windows platform either, there are plenty of SSDs that have issues with TRIM and IGC.

Eventually once TRIM becomes a part of all SSDs and its maturity is good enough, Apple can enable it for all SSDs. At this moment, it’s not that mature yet.

22. BiggAW macrumors 68020

hmmmm. Source for that info? I've found questions online to the same effect, but no good info on it. I might be OK them without TRIM since I made a point to get a Sandforce-based SSD.

23. RJCP macrumors 6502

I'm glad I found this thread. I was considering updating my main HD to an SSD drive. I have a late 2008 Macbook Alum. with Lion installed and wanted to get a Crucial 128GB M4 2.5inch MLC SATA 6Gb/s Internal SSD Hard Drive.

So, as far as I get it, Lion won't automatically enable TRIM which basically means that if I installed an SSD drive and didn't run the commands to enable TRIM, I'd have my drive failing me after a short while.

I know that Crucial provides regular firmware updates to their SSD's. I wonder if any of these Firmware updates makes TRIM start to work on Lion.

Anyone cares to shed some light on the subject? Many thanks! :)

24. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Not so. The absence of TRIM will not cause a drive to fail. All that might happen is the write speed only may slow down, and that is after every single NAND cell on the drive has been written to one time. All newer SSD have some sort of TRIM-like function built into the firmware and will handle this for you anyway.

Doubtful. The drives already support the TRIM command and it is Apple that has chosen not to enable it for whatever reason.

25. cinek macrumors 6502

you take an axe and you trim the SSD bit by bit :D