TRIM enabler don't work with MacBook Pro 2012 ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Exana, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Exana macrumors regular

Hello,

I just install a new Crucial M4 256GB in my new MacBook Pro 15" 2012 (of course, not a Rétina). It try to enable TRIM with lastest TRIM enabler but it does not work. TRIM stay disable.

:confused: I'am not commun with Lion, I noticed my MacBook Pro runs OS X 10.7.4 11E2617 witch is different from the App Store one.

PS :Sorry for poor english.

2. Geo411m macrumors regular

Did you try rebooting after enabling it? It's working fine on my 2012 Macbook Pro.

3. Exana thread starter macrumors regular

OMG, no ! I was so tired today, I just forget to do it... :eek:

I will do it asap.

4. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

I've been running my M4 with heavy usage for over a year without TRIM, and I wouldn't worry about it tbh.

5. Geo411m macrumors regular

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic :p

6. Exana thread starter macrumors regular

I forget to do so, not sarcastic. :)

But it still does not work. That's more strange. :eek: With Snow Leopard, TRIM enabler asks to reboot. Now, I move the slide to on. I put my password. Some pizza for 1 sec. Then nothing... TRIM not able. Reboot. TRIM not able.

I won't care too much, Mountain Lion is on the way. TRIM enabler will be update. And... should work ! :D

7. Geo411m macrumors regular

That is strange, it should work on Lion. A program called Lion Tweaks also has an option to enable TRIM. You can try that program and see if it makes a difference.

8. Exana thread starter macrumors regular

Solved

I use the alternative way to patch kext (http://digitaldj.net/2011/07/21/trim-enabler-for-lion/). Now TRIM works fine.

According to me, clearing kext caches solve the issue. So, if you use TRIM Enabler, don't forget to clear your kext caches.

Thanks for help Geo411m. [​IMG]

9. Geo411m macrumors regular

10. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

I decided not to worry about enabling it on mine. Read that it doesn't make a difference anymore with the new drives.

11. Exana thread starter macrumors regular

It's still better to have TRIM active specially if you handle often numerous (large) files. If it was useless, Apple won't care to set it active with its own SSD. ;)