Trim Enabler, Lion, FV2, Intel SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nickdag, Sep 4, 2011.

1. nickdag macrumors newbie

MBP13 2010
    Lion 10.7.1
    SSD Intel 320 Series 300GB (going to install the latest firmware today)
    FileVault 2 enabled

Should I install Trim Enabler? I've seen some discussions on stability issues with Lion. And, I'm also using FileVault 2. So...

What's the latest talk? Any recommendations?

thanks,
    nick

2. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

All SSDs should have TRIM Enabler on them. No exceptions.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The TRIM enabler is a hack and modifies key system files to work. If you want to take that risk, it is up to you. Read over the main TRIM enabler thread and you will see some people have stability problems and others do not.

Your drive has built in garbage collection, so nothing bad will happen if you do not run TRIM.

What I have chosen to do it not run with the hack, but enable it occasionally to TRIM free space on the drive, then disable the hack. It makes me nervous running the hack full time, but that's just me.

4. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

I've had two different people from Kingston say that enabling TRIM will benefit the drive (in my case, the HyperX SSD with Sandforce) because they stated that GC does the job but isn't as efficient as TRIM in OS X. But they said (as required to say) that they don't advise it because it's a hack. But THEORETICALLY it should benefit the drive.

I don't like using other people's TRIM enablers. Do a little bit of work to do it, because then you can reverse it if you need to.