Trim Enabler problems?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jimbo1mcm, May 10, 2011.

1. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

After I put a Samsung 470 SSD in my new MBP 13, I downloaded and installed the Trim Enabler. In the system information, it shows Trim is enabled. Everything seems to be working perfectly, but I have been reading about problems with the Trim Enabler. What kind of problems have been surfacing?

2. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Most people are waiting for Lion. Currently the TRIM enabled causes more problems then it's worth. The list starts like this: Random kernal panics, random freezing, Drive performig slowly, random app reeves and more (includes beach balling). TRIM was left not being enabled for a reason. Seems to be little hit and miss though, many have problems but
    Some don't.

3. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

ill never understand why do people think they are so smart and absolutely need to mess around with their systems? you find a HACK to enable trim on your ssd and you do it immediately without any knowledge and experience whatsoever? i find that quite interesting

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Thanks for all the constructive info. I'm sure the OP really appreciates all your help.

5. Baral macrumors member

I have enabled TRIM on my Intel G2 (in a 2011 MacBook Pro) and have run into no problems. If you look in the thread started by the guy who created the program in the Mac Pro forum, you'll see that the majority of people do not have any problems.

6. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

well that should be all the info he needs if he understood what i meant to say

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

My Macbook Pro is a second machine that is fully backed up and I understand the risks of the TRIM hack, but just thought it would be an interesting experiment that I could learn from along the way.

8. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

yeah no problems, but what does it do? does it do the same like in oem ssds in macbook pro 2011? has anyone tested it? does anyone know anything about how it works? and by that i dont mean reading reviews, but testing it

9. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

well thats a good answer, im happy there are people who are willing to risk because rest of us can then learn from them, thank you ;)

10. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

The trim feature currently is designed primarily to only work with Apple's own SSD drives and the firmware put on them. Using the feature on none Apple SSD's is what has caused the issue.
    But read this forum and it's a massive mixed bag of success and failure. Kinda got to try it and see if it works for you really. I think a lot of people are hoping Lion will support Trim fully for none Apple SSD's and that should solve the issues.. hopefully..

11. Loops macrumors member

No problems for Vertex 2 240 GB (25nm, 64-bit). Using latest firmware, 1.33.

12. Loops macrumors member

Because of this:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3812/the-ssd-diaries-crucials-realssd-c300/8

13. jimbo1mcm thread starter macrumors 68000

Anand Tech is the best

He does real world testing and puts the results down with no BS. The SSD companies can't hide from him. Either their stuff is good or it isn't.