Trim Enabler Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ladybug, May 6, 2011.

1. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I installed trim enabler earlier today. My question is how can you tell if it's working? Is there anything more I need to do? When I checked the drive it said Yes it supported trim and it looks like it's enabled but I just want to make sure there is not something more I need to do. Thanks

2. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

You don't really need to do anything. TRIM works in the background and I can testify that it does work as long as your SSD supports TRIM. If you want you could test your speed using Xbench, download a large file, delete it, and then test your speed again to compare. But it really isn't necessary since you're only causing unnecessary wear on you SSD.

3. Ladybug thread starter macrumors 65816

Ladybug

4. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

is trim always active in the background or do you need to actively clean the sectors through disk utility?

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It is always active. When you delete a file, the OS will inform the SSD controller that that specific file has been deleted so the controller can then get rid of that page in the background (only blocks can be erased, not individual pages. That is the source of this whole issue).

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is active in the background, but let me explain what I think is the source of the confusion.

If you used the SSD for sometime before installing the TRIM hack, some of the areas (cells) of the SSD have been used and those areas were not TRIM'd. After you install the hack, going forward from then areas used are TRIM's. So even with the TRIM hack the areas of the SSD that were used prior to the hack still have cells that have not been TRIM'd. To do that you need to open Disk Util and run "Erase Free Space". That will fill fill the entire drive then erase the free space and in doing so reset the previously used cells to a TRIM'd state.

If you barely used the SSD prior to installing the hack, you probably don't need to do this.