TRIM Enabler w/Apple SSD and External SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mac1984user, Jul 15, 2012.

1. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

I have not had a lot of luck finding an answer to this question through searching around, so I thought I'd pose it here. I'm happy for a re-direct if someone has responded to this before.

The TRIM Enabler application available for download is intended to activate TRIM on non-Apple-installed SSDs. So, if you install a SSD where the HDD was in your MacBook Pro, you can turn TRIM on within this program. That's great. You now have an SSD and maybe an HDD within your laptop, or you've moved the HDD outside as an external.

I've got a slightly different scenario. I would like to put an SSD in an external enclosure which is attached via USB 3.0 to a retina MacBook Pro. TRIM is already enabled on the internal Apple-endorsed SSD within my computer, but TRIM is not natively enabled in the external SSD. If I use TRIM Enabler to activate TRIM on the external, will I mess up some of the settings Mac OS uses to recognise the 'native' internal SSD? Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

2. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

I don't believe you can enable TRIM on an External Drive at all. I may be wrong.

3. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

4. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

"TRIM Enabler"

5. appletechpro macrumors regular

Try running this bash script:

#!/bin/bash
    sudo cp /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage.original
    sudo perl -pi -e 's|(\x52\x6F\x74\x61\x74\x69\x6F\x6E\x61\x6C\x00{1,20})[^\x00]{9}(\x00{1,20}\x51)|$1\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00$2|sg' /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage
    sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
    sudo kextcache -system-caches

It might enable TRIM for all SSDs present. It also might not work because the drive is interfacing through USB 3.0 so different drivers are at play.

The worst case scenario is that it simply wouldn't be enabled.