TRIM for Hybrid SSD/HD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by daruma, Sep 3, 2014.

1. daruma macrumors newbie

Hi, Folks-

Got a problem/question I am wondering if anyone can help me with. I have an Early 2011MBP which recently had a failing HD. I put in a Toshiba 1TB SSD/HD hybrid, and I'm running 2 partitions, 1 with Mavericks and 1 with the most recent Yosemite public beta. Since the switch my video playback has been horrible, in both OS and in all applications (Safari, Firefox, Quicktime and VLC. I can't seem to figure out how to fix this. It occurred to me that it might be because of not having TRIM enabled, but I'm not really sure what that is, and I can't find any info to tell me whether or not it is necessary for hybrid drives. Can anyone enlighten me? Alternately, do you know another fix for the crappy video playback? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

TRIM would not have any effect on video playback.

If you have the 15 or 17 inch 2011 model, you may have a failing GPU.

3. daruma thread starter macrumors newbie

No; I have the 13. Sorry; should have included that in the original post. Thanks for the info on TRIM, though. Rules that out.

4. g4cube macrumors 6502a

Also, TRIM is of no use on a hybrid HDD. Implementation of the controller is different that that found in a conventional SSD.