TRIM issue with Yosemite.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ilegal31, Apr 18, 2015.

1. ilegal31 macrumors member

ilegal31

Hello, I have a Mac Pro 2,1 running OS X 10.10.2, today I had installed TRIM Enabler from Cindori, restarted but now there is no video signal, the computer makes a squeaky noise but no video, any help please?.

Thanks in advance.

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

There are issue with Trim Enabler and Yosemite, did you read on that on the Cindori website? Not that your symptoms sound like it...

3. ilegal31 thread starter macrumors member

ilegal31

Hello,

No, I have not seen any article on their website, there where comments about Trim working fine.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

https://www.cindori.org/forums/topic/trim-enabler-in-yosemite/page/38/

Thats the only reference I can find but on that page from Cindori:

"The need to disable kext signing for automatic Trim handled by OS X will not go away. It is simply not possible with the restrictions introduced by Apple."

Under Yosemite you have an extra security feature from Apple to verify you are running signed code, Trim Enabler will only run if you turn this off. Following the wrong process at updates means you get an unbootable system. Personally I'm not willing to turn kext signing off so I ran from when I installed Yosenite (public release), until last week with no Trim Enabled, no slow down or issues at all.

5. ziggy29 macrumors regular

Agreed. I bought a Crucial MX200, 256 GB, for my wife's late 2008 Unibody MacBook and the claim is that as long as you allow it to run idle without sleeping, "garbage collection" will eventually do most of the job. I'd rather have TRIM but I don't want to open that potential security hole. So far I'm really happy with the SSD replacement. Between that and maxing out the RAM (and buying a new aftermarket Anker battery from Amazon), it feels like a $180 investment has bought us a new computer. It runs Yosemite almost as fast as my 2012 Mini with 2.6 GHz i7 and 16 GB of RAM.

Still, I'd love to see native TRIM support for third party drives.

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I swa[[ed the MX500 120GB (2yrs old), for an MX550 512GB last week, very pleased and will be checking for how it runs without Trim...