Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RolleR85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2017
Tarragona
Hello everyone, I have put a crucial ssd of 2tb in a ssd usb-c box, this one:
https://amzn.eu/d/gvj1rQP

To use it to put the downloads, the photo library, documents and something else.

I will format it in APSC, do I have to activate TRIM or do something to this SSD to improve its durability?

Thank you!

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
I'm unable to follow your link, so I don't know if the USB enclosure for a SATA SSD or for a NVME SSD (not sure if it matters, though).

At least for SATA SSDs in Monterey, I think you need to use the trimforce enable command if you want TRIM to work with any non-Apple SSD. Use an admin account. Here's what the man page says about the trimforce command:

DESCRIPTION
trimforce enables sending TRIM commands to third-party drives attached to an AHCI
controller. By default, TRIM commands are not sent to third-party drives. Use
extreme caution when enabling TRIM, as some drives may not correctly handle the
commands. trimforce must be run by the system administrator.

VERBS
enable
Start sending TRIM commands to AHCI-attached third-party drives. Requires a
reboot to take effect.

disable
Stop sending TRIM commands to AHCI-attached third-party drives. Requires a
reboot to take effect.

help
Display brief usage syntax.

I'm not sure if trimforce is neccessary for NVME SSDs -- probably yes. (Does anyone else know?)

As for USB-connected enclosures, my understanding is that they don't (or most of them don't) work with TRIM under macOS. You should be able to find out using the System Information.app. For example:

1) I have a SATA SSD connected via Thunderbolt2 on my Monterey system. System Information shows "TRIM Support: Yes" for that SSD. (see images attached)

2) I have a SATA SSD connected via USB 3.0, and I can find no mention of TRIM support for that device.

If you don't get TRIM support, you shouldn't worry much about it. Here's an interesting thread on TRIM over USB:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/trim-for-external-ssd-m1-mini.2314761/

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-05-30 at 2.37.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-05-30 at 2.37.41 PM.png
    227.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Screen Shot 2024-05-30 at 2.41.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-05-30 at 2.41.27 PM.png
    303.8 KB · Views: 24
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.